PDA

View Full Version : Late report DPH ten-hour session

smokehound
09-09-2010, 01:23 AM
Whoo-boy.. This was brutal. All the food I brought fell overboard and fed the smelt..

That was horrible. My Layered-Mexican-Dip pringles.. : (

But worst of all... My Del-Taco Combination burrito >=O Son of a *****!

I spent a couple of hours fishing the super-drained low-tide with big-hammers for NADA.. tired, and starving, and stranded for the night, I just decided to conserve energy and bait&wait and catch a few Z's..

I rigged some plump-roe-laden sandcrabs on both poles, and headed to the pier-- usually reliable for at LEAST two fish..

Man they really dredged the crap out of the harbor.. thankfully, the rocks are still full of all sorts of tasty critters for the fish..

Soon after casting both poles, my smaller pole double's over-- I set the hook, and then the other rod doubles over-- Almost went overboard! So I put my small pole in free-spool and rush to my big rod..

I set the hook, and it was a big sting-ray.. biggest roundie I've caught in years.. must have been around 6 pounds.. Not very aggressive.. seemed like it knew it was gonna be thrown back.. No pic..

Then I return to my other pole and resume reeling it in.....

Result:
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c177/smokehound/DCFC0066.jpg
A Ten-1/2 incher.. But hey, it's better than a damn roundie!

aside from the rays, zero action.. the harbor was totally drained..

It stayed this way for HOURS.. I doze off on the bench and wake up around 3:am with fog rolling in..

Another angler showed up, nice guy. He was just tossing shrimp chunks..

Then i get a good slam.. but DAMNIT, spits the hook!!

So i cast from the "x" on the pier, and wait, fog got real thick.

Another fish slams the little pole, and i set the hook, and....

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c177/smokehound/DCFC0068.jpg

Another sandie.. bigger than the last one.. A bit over 11 inches.

After that, nada.. But no skunk!

Next time will be better..

I didnt even bother to look at the tides.. I just left on a whim, since the bus down brookhurst gets me to the coast in 40 minutes.

smokehound
09-09-2010, 01:49 AM
the heck... Here's the second bass. PB acting weird...

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c177/smokehound/Sandie.png

Sorry for double-posting, but the damn edit function aint working.

NoHo ART
09-09-2010, 09:50 AM
always go advanced when editing... that quick crap don't work

stepchild
09-09-2010, 11:11 AM
ten hour session? damn hard core..thanks for the report

CPT. Kirk
09-09-2010, 11:36 AM
a ten hour session I'm lucky if I can get a couple of hours of fishing in. Thanks for the report. Good job on the bass and rays.

murrieta angler
09-09-2010, 05:12 PM
Hey Smoke,
Good job getting the litle sandies and the ray.
What was the temp when you were out there at 3:00 in the morning?
Take It Easy,
Robert

smokehound
09-09-2010, 11:47 PM
Hey Smoke,
Good job getting the litle sandies and the ray.
What was the temp when you were out there at 3:00 in the morning?
Take It Easy,
Robert I'd say it was around 55 degrees. Water felt around 60-59 degrees.

We have a slight warming-trend on it's way starting Tomorrow (friday). Was planning on hitting newport.

BrandonFish
09-15-2010, 06:56 PM
atleast the food didnt just rot... lol sucks to here about that atleast it wasnt the skunk =\ some much needed better luck next time =p

Jaysuuun
09-20-2010, 08:45 PM
You beat the skunk and fed the fish. A rough ten hours but at least you didn't come out empty handed.

Swank909
09-21-2010, 09:43 AM
atleast the food didnt just rot... lol sucks to here about that atleast it wasnt the skunk =\ some much needed better luck next time =p

Definately, much rather chum for bait then have bloody mackeral PB&J.

smokehound
09-22-2010, 12:51 AM
Definately, much rather chum for bait then have bloody mackeral PB&J.Well this time, i'm going to be prepared.

The thing I like about this spot, is the nearby gazebo, with a BBQ stand.

I should have used my sabiki, snagged some smelt and walleyes, and just cooked a bunch of tiny fish...

I was able to stave hunger off a little by spending 30 minutes gathering some purslane (an edible succulent plant) near the marine reserve.. so I still had SOME energy. Pretty tasty plant. It would go great with any fish, due to it's tangy flavor. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portulaca_oleracea