PDA

View Full Version : Coachella Canal

P1M
09-08-2010, 05:25 PM
No job today, no money, so I went fishing. I have tried my luck at the coachella canal a few times and got skunked. I decided that today I was going to explore. I have no idea on how to fish the canal. I tried a few spots and nothing. Then I went exploring and found some gates with some fast moving water in indio. Casted out with a night crawler and bam...fish on. Small kitty maybe a pound. Casted again and bam, another kitty. I was thinking this was to easy and I just got lucky. 9 fish later and less then an hour of fishing I had to go get my kids. I was using light tackle 4lb line and had a blast but I did hook into something and snapped my line after I tried for about 5mins and swore that I was just snagged until whatever it was peeled off a bunch of line. Sorry I suck and have no pics.

gletemfeelsteelgary
09-08-2010, 06:09 PM
ahhhhkha.....

I have had my eye on this run for about 6 months....

There seems to be some good zones out that way but I gotta tell you 4 lb test AINT GONNA cut it....id go with 15 flouro....12 lb at the lightest...

I get mixed information from whomever I poll regarding these zones...

Some say it sucks...some say there stripers but mostly small ones...

I can tell you, I've spent at least 2 hours google mapping things all the way to the american canal all the way to the colorado river...

In my opinion, I say there has to be a good congregation of at least healthy size stripers for one fishing it with the right methods....

I'd say go back and try again with a KPN and thicker line and a stout pole...don't stress the kitties at first....fish it hard...

hopefully the current was fishable and not much veggie but I'd guess there was some decent salad and decent flow given the weather patterns....

Try those siphons near where it runs under the frywy......near where it goes through the comunity....sorry I cannot remember their names off hand but theres some sweet zones that potentialy should produce...

Try again.....try all water collums low to high to find some sort of pattern....I'd say start low...then high, then concentrate on the middle registers....

Leave that 4lb test at home...thats bringin a knife to a gunfight !

Good luck, I hope tyou return and slay them.....sooner or later I'll make a weekend run up there myself but too much other stuff going on right now...

Let us know how things go..

Gary

brycek1984
09-08-2010, 07:06 PM
Sorry I suck and have no pics.

Don't do it again. I am so freakin' dissappointed.

yolo
09-08-2010, 08:45 PM
Used to hit up the canal when I was a kid with my dad and his fishing buddies. I remember catching catfish, carp and the grass carp (must return to water right away when caught). I don't recall ever getting stripers back then. We used to nail the snot out of the big corbina at the Salton Sea back then fishing at night and hit the canal for a few hours during the day. I remember it as a dirt canal and not concrete lined. is it still the same? Probably been 25 to 30 years since I was there but used to go often back then? We used to be able to drive along the canal. Is that still allowed?

gletemfeelsteelgary
09-09-2010, 09:34 AM
Try: (not in order of importance)

1.Gate @ ave 49
2. Bridge @ ave 50
3.Siphon Outlet down from Macarios Grill(near 10 frwy)
4.Siphon upstream of Miles ave
5.Sweet bend @ ave 46 (2 other nice bends up & downstream)
6.Siphon @ 111th
7.Siphon upstream of ave 42nd
8.Bend @ ave 40th

All beautiful looking spots, cannot tell you how the acesss is…you’ll have to scout them out….with some creative planning, you could hit all of those in one night if you plot your route out on paper or have a GPS unit.

Now go tear them a new one, I am pretty confident there are stripers there, I hope I see some Blooood !

It looks to be cement from what I've seen, never seen gates or siphons constructed from dirt...

Good luck..

Gary

yolo
09-09-2010, 09:48 AM
The areas we fished decades ago was dirt like this picture. Of course the bridges and gates are concrete structures but the canal itself was just dirt. We fished the southern part though in the desert. Maybe the northern parts are concrete or it has been updated since I was there 20+ years ago?25357

gletemfeelsteelgary
09-09-2010, 01:01 PM
The areas we fished decades ago was dirt like this picture. Of course the bridges and gates are concrete structures but the canal itself was just dirt. We fished the southern part though in the desert. Maybe the northern parts are concrete or it has been updated since I was there 20+ years ago?25357
I'd say fish it regardless of what it's made out of, sort of irrelevant, still has the potential to house the target fish dirt or cement....there are stripers in dirt canals in bako...

if theres water....fish it : )

If the stripers don't play then theres always catfish

yolo
09-09-2010, 02:34 PM
Yeah the fish don't care if it's dirt of cement. I was just replying to your comment that you have "never seen gates or siphons constructed from dirt". I never said the gates and siphons were made from dirt. I said the part of the canal that we fished was "dirt and don't recall it cement lined". Point is there are fish there. I know there are stripers there too now. Don't know how long they have been there. I was in my early early teens. Catching fish was fun no matter what they were. I guess that's the bottom line.

gletemfeelsteelgary
09-09-2010, 02:53 PM
Yeah the fish don't care if it's dirt of cement. I was just replying to your comment that you have "never seen gates or siphons constructed from dirt". I never said the gates and siphons were made from dirt. I said the part of the canal that we fished was "dirt and don't recall it cement lined". Point is there are fish there. I know there are stripers there too now. Don't know how long they have been there. I was in my early early teens. Catching fish was fun no matter what they were. I guess that's the bottom line.
I'd simply prefer to get back to the part of the post where we actually help this determined angler...thats all that I was trying to do in the 1st place....this is turning into a pissing contest which was not my intension and I aint got time for that stuff anymore.....

Good luck....

yolo
09-09-2010, 03:09 PM
I'd simply prefer to get back to the part of the post where we actually help this determined angler...thats all that I was trying to do in the 1st place....this is turning into a pissing contest which was not my intension and I aint got time for that stuff anymore.....

Good luck....

Yeah I agree. I was telling him there are fish there and have caught them back when I was a kid. It doesn't take a genius to know that gates and siphons can't be made out of dirt, lol and that was never even mentioned or insinuated by me. If you piss into the wind expect some spray on yourself. It's so convenient not to want a pissing contest when you are done pissing.

To the original poster. Sorry for what this turned into. I am still curious to know if the canal is still dirt or has been lined with cement as I have not been there in 25+ years. Also can you still drive the canal roads or are they fenced off now? We used to hit the areas from Bombay Beach to Niland off highway 111.

gletemfeelsteelgary
09-09-2010, 03:27 PM
Yeah I agree. I was telling him there are fish there and have caught them back when I was a kid. It doesn't take a genius to know that gates and siphons can't be made out of dirt, lol and that was never even mentioned or insinuated by me. If you piss into the wind expect some spray on yourself. It's so convenient not to want a pissing contest when you are done pissing.

To the original poster. Sorry for what this turned into. I am still curious to know if the canal is still dirt or has been lined with cement as I have not been there in 25+ years. Also can you still drive the canal roads or are they fenced off now? We used to hit the areas from Bombay Beach to Niland off highway 111.
well now that you put it that way, who says I'm done pissing...your quite a fellow how you always throw your off camber comments never actually saying what you actually are insunuating and usually demeaning in some sort of inadvertant fashion....I've steered clear of your likes for those particular reasons just cause these things are such a waste of time....... but since your all in the bunches, let's keep things straight and no need to get in any minced words...I don't like you and you clearly don't like me...why not be straight up and say it...aggree to dissagree...

Leave it at that.....

P1M
09-09-2010, 03:42 PM
Next time I go I will bring better tackle. It was fun with the light stuff made me think I had jaws on there. The canal as far as I know is all concrete now. The first 2 places I tryed where bridges and got nothing. I need to read up some tips on fishing for strippers because I have no idea. The guy that lives down the street said he has caught strippers but all where pretty small. I will play around and try different things at my new spot. I'm trying to stick close to indio close to the freeway because it's only a couple min drive for me. I'll keep you posted.

Catrack77
09-09-2010, 03:43 PM
To all
The canal is all concrete a

P1M
09-09-2010, 03:56 PM
Thanks desert cat. So far everywhere I have gone has not had a fence and they have the sign showing the difference between the carps so maybe I am assumming that I'm ok to fish there if there telling what and what not to catch

gletemfeelsteelgary
09-09-2010, 04:06 PM
To all
The canal is all concrete and totally fenced from Indio thru LaQuinta. Most of the places, id not all that Gary mentioned are fenced now. The old Mud banks from Just above North Shore to the Hot Spa are fenced. At some point the whole canal will be fenced. The canal has alot of stripers if you know where to go and how to fish them. I have yet to see any really large stripers. My biggest is 9 pounds. The canal is loaded with both channels and flatheads. Some very large flats.
Good luck and don't get caught inside the fenced area.
Take care
Desert cat
Great info, a real bummer that those areas are fenced, seems like a huge waste of water when it could provide great recreation, keep on.... keeping on, please share your success or failures as well...

I'll stay tuned

I still plan on making a weekend trip up there to explore, maybe I'll spend 1 day there and 1 day in the hesperia areas when the weather cools, I always like to expand the horizons...

Thanks for sharing : )

yolo
09-09-2010, 04:58 PM
well now that you put it that way, who says I'm done pissing...your quite a fellow how you always throw your off camber comments never actually saying what you actually are insunuating and usually demeaning in some sort of inadvertant fashion....I've steered clear of your likes for those particular reasons just cause these things are such a waste of time....... but since your all in the bunches, let's keep things straight and no need to get in any minced words...I don't like you and you clearly don't like me...why not be straight up and say it...aggree to dissagree...

Leave it at that.....

Unlike you I have not for one minute thought of liking or not liking you. You are just a poster on a forum like so many others. Oddly enough, it was you that said anything that could be construed as demeaning and not I. I gave info and asked info to be given to me and was not even talking to you. I really don't care at all if you like me or not. Sounds like you like to dish it but can't take it. Yeah let's agree to disagree and leave it at that.

To all
The canal is all concrete and totally fenced from Indio thru LaQuinta. Most of the places, id not all that Gary mentioned are fenced now. The old Mud banks from Just above North Shore to the Hot Spa are fenced. At some point the whole canal will be fenced. The canal has alot of stripers if you know where to go and how to fish them. I have yet to see any really large stripers. My biggest is 9 pounds. The canal is loaded with both channels and flatheads. Some very large flats.
Good luck and don't get caught inside the fenced area.
Take care
Desert cat

Thanks for the info Desert Cat. Like I said, it has been decades since I was there and it looks like things have changed considerably. If there are so many small stripers, there have to be some bigger ones. Like I said, I don't recall getting stripers back 25 years ago but they were probably there.

Thanks desert cat. So far everywhere I have gone has not had a fence and they have the sign showing the difference between the carps so maybe I am assumming that I'm ok to fish there if there telling what and what not to catch

Yes I remembered those grass carp signs. It was a big fine to keep them. We did get one occasionally and released them. It was so long ago but I remember some of the details about this place. I probably would not even recognize it by the sounds of it? Good luck out there and post up some pics of your catches. It would be cool to see what it has transformed into (scenery and background shots) along with the fish caught.

horgaszapacban
09-11-2010, 07:26 PM
A few years ago we skunked down at Walter's Camp, so on the way back we hit Coachella near a small village made of bunks, I can't remember the name, but it was kind of scary. Anyways we caught a decent sized flathead (I guess 10 pounds) a beautiful carp ( about the same weight) and a grass carp which we returned as the regulation says. That was about 6 pounds. By the way in Hungary they used to catch grass carps in the 60-80 pounds area. My biggest was 10 pounds.

NooB SaBass
10-04-2010, 04:32 PM
I just went last weekend down to Salton Sea and hit the Canals down there that feed the Sea.
1 baby kitty in the Canal's, friend caught a Freshwater? Tilapia. All 4 of us got hit hard but missed them, damn Heiniken lol....
Bombay Is dead, that entire stretch of the Sea has seen better days...