PDA

View Full Version : Kern River - Labor Day Weekend

fixthedoor
09-08-2010, 12:14 PM
We stayed the weekend at Fairview Campground, about 15 miles N of Kernville on the Kern River Hwy. All along the river it was tent city.

I got about 6 hours of fishing in, staying between the campground and the river. I only caught one 13" rainbow. This was with a green and red Rooster Tail in the morning. I had two others on the line, early afternoon, but midway in I lost them. One was with a green jig and the other was with a Panther Marten. A had several other bites while using some yellow Zeke's Gold on a 16" leader with a bubble. I think the bubble added too much weight to the line so I stopped using it.

Several people fished the same areas I fished with good success. They mostly were using salmon eggs.

The trout were very active throughout the day in the sun and shade, in 2-4' of water. Bites always seemed to be immediate.

No pictures unfortunately, but the water was great as well as the weather.

-P

Deyymonayy
09-09-2010, 09:29 AM
Bummer about losing the fish but at least you beat the skunk right? Great report!!! After hearing all of the reports from the Kern I definitely want to make a trip up there. This may sound like a stupid question but, when you say bites seemed to be immediate, do you mean you were anchoring your zeke's to the bottom and they bit right away? or were you drifting the bait and got hit right away?

fixthedoor
09-09-2010, 10:56 AM
I was very glad to beat the skunk this time out, because the wife was starting talk shiite. The Zeke's was floating, drifting downstream and I could see them take it. This was within a few seconds. Where I was at the water was flowing pretty good, just past some smaller rapids.