PDA

View Full Version : Weather During October In The Sierras?

Koshaw
09-08-2010, 10:06 AM
I was just wondering how cold it got up there in October (I know it varies from year to year). Is it way too cold/icy? Are there stockings in October or is September the last month?

dockboy
09-08-2010, 12:49 PM
It can be anything. Be prepared. Ive fished in 70 degree weather one day, and two days later it was 40 and blowing hard at 30 mph. The crowds are non-existent. But even in warm periods, you can expect a dip into the 20 degree range at night.
The stocking will continue in most waters till the last weeks of the season. They will plant less fish per stock, and sometimes the creeks will not be stocked if they are low on water, which is not a real concern this year. But the fishing is worth it. The cold weather snaps put fish on the bite, and you can have great fishing with the first snow on the ground.

troutdog
09-08-2010, 01:14 PM
Based on previous experience you definitely don't want to camp outside! :LOL:

Dockboy summed it very well regarding the weather, bring extra layers of clothing and you will be fine....fishing can be epic and the fall colors can distract you with their beauty when fishing. Simply put it is BEAUTIFUL up there in the fall.

TD

Carlos N
09-08-2010, 01:39 PM
just a remainder, take your snow chains. they could come in handy.

Sierra_Smitty
09-08-2010, 02:12 PM
Dockboy summed it up pretty good. Be prepared for everything and you'll have a great trip regardless of the weather.

Two days ago it was t-shirt, shorts and flip flops weather. Tonight it's supposed to snow and get into the mid 20's at the resort here. We've had snow flurries every month of the year except July....unpredictability is the only predictable thing about high country weather.

The fall fishing rocks - my favorite time of year.

SierraPeaks
09-08-2010, 02:46 PM
There's nothing like fall fishing in the E.S.
I'm going for trophy browns in October at Lower Twin. (Bridgeport)

AngryAgent
09-08-2010, 03:01 PM
There's nothing like fall fishing in the E.S.
I'm going for trophy browns in October at Lower Twin. (Bridgeport)

See you there. Leaving October 1st for 5 days. It is hard to sleep now and I just got back from Bridgeport a week and a half ago:Envious:

jmurillo74
09-08-2010, 05:33 PM
Headed up October 7th-10th. I have been fishing the Eastern Sierras going on 25 years now and the last five or so have been primarily in the Fall months. Snow flurries are common, but the fishing is great and the best part of it is the summer crowds are gone. Last year I had too push my trip back to closing weekend, November 11th-15th, the temps were actually too cold in my opinion, snow every day, temps in the teens, Twin Lakes froze over, and fishing was actually slow. I would say mid September to mid October would be the best fishing of the year in the eastern Sierras.

tpfishnfool
09-09-2010, 07:20 AM
Best time imo. aspens color change, browns moving up to spawn, less lice, cheap hotels, oh yea less lice..

SierraPeaks
09-09-2010, 05:17 PM
October can be unpredictable for sure.
A few years back, in October, my buddy and I wore shorts and tank tops fishing June Lake during the day not a cloud in the sky when we fell asleep...and when we woke up at 4 a.m. the next morning.there was a foot and a half of snow at Silver Lake campground and dumped all that day. When it stopped there was close to 3 feet of snow.

Sparky70
09-09-2010, 05:30 PM
Hey Fool, are those shing Lice?

tpfishnfool
09-09-2010, 07:26 PM
Hey Fool, are those shing Lice?

No, Mostly raider fan leaves all there empty beer cans and other trash.....

golfish
09-09-2010, 07:27 PM
9 times out of 10 its great weather..Its that one time that gets ya. My Son and I will be up camping around the Crowley area late Sept and early Oct. I'm looking forward to a great time.

Got to love Motel 6 :)

Koshaw
09-10-2010, 05:48 AM
Thanks guys!

flytyingreloader
09-11-2010, 07:28 PM
I'm heading up for 3-5 days on Monday morning, and another trip in late September/early October AT MINIMUM this year. One thing I've noted in previous years--as the season gets "later", the services for fishing and tourism kind of recede a bit, and that process accellerates after mid-October. I don't think many of the vendors are tuned in to the 11/15 closing date of the season. Of course, it may not be profitable to stay open for that "bitter end" of trout season--and it has only been the past few years that trout season has extended beyond late October.

That anecdote above concerning Silver Lake in October reminded me of mid-October 2008 and a boat launch I did there on a crisp morning. Temp was 15*, and there were a couple carloads of photographers huddled up taking in the interior heat from their Subarus after pre-setting their camera gear for sunrise shots over Carson Peak and the Fall colors. A couple of these folks got out of the cars and snapped stills of me launching the boat and wading around in the cold. It didn't seem out of the ordinary to ME, at least. I did troll up some trout that morning, and got applause from the shutterbugs every time I brought one in.

That went on for about 3 hours, then clouds poured over the Peak and THE SNOW TOOK PLACE. The fishing shut down too, so I re-trailered the boat--which REALLY got the camera folks snapping--and 4-wheeled it out to U.S. 395 in a fair-to-middling snowstorm. Again.

If I don't get snowed on at least once a year while fishing the Eastern Sierras, it isn't a complete year. So, I'm DUE. :-)

Which Way Out
09-12-2010, 08:52 AM
Well I am hoping for cool temps. and no snow. Don't get there often enough so I really want to enjoy the time. Rolling out Wed the 15 of Sept. for 5 days.