PDA

View Full Version : Which baitcasting reel?

VietReefer
09-07-2010, 08:59 PM
I'm looking for a good all around baitcasting reel for both surf fishing and fresh water fishing. I will be throwing mainly crankbait, jerkbait, spoons, and some plastics.
It will be my first baitcasting reel because I want to be able to use 12-15lb fluorocarbon line and I read articles those said never to load them in a spinning reel.
With the abundant amount of reels out there in the market, I was able to slim down to 2. Can you guys who had used these reels give me some feedback to help with my decision.

1. Team Daiwa Viento Casting Reels

2. Abu Garcia REVO STX Casting Reel

Please let me know if they're corrosion resistant too. Which one should I choose?

Thanks a bunch

xjdesertfox
09-07-2010, 09:11 PM
no shimano love?

Curados are the ****. If youre going with daiwa i'd get a zillion

VietReefer
09-07-2010, 09:17 PM
no shimano love?

Curados are the ****. If youre going with daiwa i'd get a zillion

Of course love for shimano but the curados are around $250. I'm choosing the above 2 because they seem to be good reel and "mainly" they're having a sale on those :) It's going to be my first baitcaster too so I'm not sure I can get used to it because I've always used spinning, so I don't want to hurt my pocket getting something I'm not so sure about :) Thanks

FrazeIb1
09-07-2010, 09:22 PM
Both are good quality reels. I have the Abu Garcia and I love it. The reel casts forever and is strong enough to reel in big Large Mouth and Stripers wit ease..................Tight Lines........

xjdesertfox
09-07-2010, 09:23 PM
Of course love for shimano but the curados are around $250. I'm choosing the above 2 because they seem to be good reel and "mainly" they're having a sale on those :) It's going to be my first baitcaster too so I'm not sure I can get used to it because I've always used spinning, so I don't want to hurt my pocket getting something I'm not so sure about :) Thanks

Curados are $180 MSRP. And you can find them for $130-150 new on ebay.

bsp
09-07-2010, 11:12 PM
Shimano Curado E series without a doubt. Very good reels, easily found for $150 or less, and can survive surf fishing well with normal maintenance. I've got an E7 and have zero complaints. Great to cast, very smooth, and plenty of power. Highly recommended.

dfisher
09-07-2010, 11:15 PM
Curados are $180 MSRP. And you can find them for $130-150 new on ebay.

no lie here.. Got mine off ebay brand new for around $130.

VietReefer
09-07-2010, 11:46 PM
Is it worth it to spend an extra $40 to get the shimano compare to the other two reel?

Nessie Hunter
09-08-2010, 07:31 AM
If your going to use it for both Fresh & Salt, I would recommend the Revo..
Abu Garcia has came into the 21st Century with this Reel.
They are the hot ticket right now.

The "Revo Inshore" is designed for Saltwater.
I have 2 of them and they cast and fish most excellent!!
I have fished them at the Break wall and the oil rigs offshore, Also at Lake Silverwood.
Im very impressed so far but no big fish yet.

I tear them apart right out of the box (like all my Reels) and they have more lubrication in the right places then any other reel I have seen...
True Freespool allows for extreme casting. 22#/24# of drag is way more then you will ever need.

I have seen them for $129 new at Americanlagacyfishing.com and on line...
Here is the SX for $99. Same reel less bling, perfect low budget reel for what you want..
http://www.americanlegacyfishing.com/sale-50-off-abu-garcia-revo-sx-hs-7-1-rh-cast-reel.html

Now I want the Revo 50 & 60..