PDA

View Full Version : Any info on using shad traps in so cal?

socalfab
09-07-2010, 01:37 PM
I have fished is socal my whole life. I have never attempted to net live shad with a dip net or with a shad trap and have never acctualy fished with live shad. I was woundering if lakes like elsinore and skinner allow the use of shad traps. Like the ones sold at B.P.S I found some info on the dfg website that states:

4.05. Bait Fish Capture Methods.
(a) Approved bait fish may be taken only by hand, with a dip net, or with traps not over three feet in greatest dimension.
Such bait fish may not be purchased, bartered, sold, transferred or traded; or transported alive from the location where
taken.
Any other species taken shall be returned to the water immediately. Traps need not be closely attended. Dip net
use: A dip net must be hand held, and the motion of a dip net shall be caused only by the physical effort of the operator.
A dip net may not be moved through the water by any mechanical force or motorized device.
(b) Within the area bounded by Highway 111 on the north and east and Highway 86 on the west and south, approved
bait fish may be taken only with dip nets with diagonal mesh size one inch and greater, or by traps in water greater than
four feet in depth. Traps may not exceed three feet in greatest dimension. Approved bait fish may not be taken by hand
within this area.
4.10. Bait Fish Use in the Southern District.
Except as provided below, live or dead fin fish shall not be used or possessed for use as bait in the Southern District:
(a) Dead threadfin shad and live or dead longjaw mudsucker may be used in all Southern District waters.
(b) Live threadfin shad may be used only at the location where taken.
(c) Golden shiner and red shiner may be used in San Diego County.

It seems pretty strait forward. I just have never seen the use of these traps at these lakes or any other for that matter. At skinner I have fished it my whole life and have never seen anyone even fish live shad. My target species would be catfish and stripper if that makes any difference.

If there is anyone that could please expand on this I would greatly appreciate it.

socalfab:Neutral:

DarkShadow
09-07-2010, 01:45 PM
Id love to see a shad trap in action.

I don't think I could imagine shad swimming into an enclosed trap.

socalfab
09-07-2010, 01:52 PM
Ive done the research on the traps and there a big thing in the south. It wouldent be any differnt than crab traps or crayfish traps. You bait the inside leave it out for a period of time, they swim in to eat and the tappered opening help keep them in.

Any ways I would still like some info if there is anyone that has some.

socalfab

Fishbreath
09-07-2010, 02:43 PM
I am hoping someone comes on here and says they have had good luck with catching shad in the minnow traps, but quite frankly I am skeptical. Minnow/crawfish traps work by placing bait inside that attracts the minnows or crawfish, and then they can't get out. As far as I know, shad are plankton feeders, so bait would probably not work to attract them. Besides that, they are really wary and quick. There is a reason that people upgrade from the $26 black dip nets from Bass Pro Shops to the $280 fluorocarbon coated monofilament ones. If you did manage to catch them in the minnow traps, I wonder if they would stay alive very long in there. They need to keep moving to oxygenate, and they might bang themselves to death in there. That's why you need a round bait well for them.