PDA

View Full Version : Huntington Harbor

taksx
09-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Hi Peeps,

Any body know the rules and regulations at Huntington Harbor? I'm taking the kayak out there and rumor has it that we can't cross the PCH bridge or use a fish finder.
is this true?

Thanks, Eddie.

fish4keep
09-09-2010, 01:11 PM
I'm going to take a stab at this and say, if you can't cross the PCH bridge at HH, how are you going to get to the ocean? I know you can't fish once you pass the PCH bridge until you pass the jetties. Also there is/are sign/s saying something like do not turn on electronics (military base you're passing through) but I'm sure almost every boat that has electronic/s on thier boat would have them turn on..........

Theo
09-09-2010, 11:21 PM
I know that you must be under engine power as you traverse the Naval Weapons station. No paddle or sail power permitted. I can see their point since sailers tend to tack all over the place and kayakers are slow and wander. The Navy wants you to go at 5mph right down the center of the channel with no deviation. OR ELSE!

These rules have been on the books for over 20 years. I don't know about the electronics. I don't recall if I had mine on or off. I almost always have my GPS on. I wouldn't flip on the radar just as I was passing a weapons supply vessel suddenly though.

Theo

Nessie Hunter
09-10-2010, 06:47 AM
They have at least 2 or more small fast gun boats (armed & Dangerous) always in the area watching every boat and pedestrian.
Not much chance of sneaking through!!!
Dont know much, except you must travel at 5 MPH and stay near center of channel.
No stopping or fishing etc!!!
They some times STOP all traffic when anything is coming or going Or when ???????

Fish Dog
09-11-2010, 12:12 PM
We were going out of HH once and the destroyer that was there was ready to leave. One of those little gun boats stopped us just past the bridge and told us we had to wait there until it left the harbor. There were three sailors on board with M15's and that had a nice little .50 cal mounted on the bow. We thought it was probably a good idea to do what they said. I can understand them not wanting any small boats near their ships after the Cole incident.

I remember right after 9/11 they closed the harbor for several weeks (if I remember right - maybe it was several days) and then, after that for a while, they only let boat traffic through for an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon.