PDA

View Full Version : Bait Cast Reel Problems Need help

trevlavo
09-06-2010, 08:54 PM
hello all maybe someone can help me out heres is the prob...first off its a pretty cheapy bass pro shops rod/reel combo (yeah i know thats probably the problem) what its doing is while reeling it will be silky smooth then it will act like i have my thumb on the reel but dont. and its does it sporadically like the drag is messed up or like reeling in weeds its just weird...so im wondering if its something easy to fix or should i just buy a new reel and if so any recos for around 50.00 thanks.

TFC_arvilJDM
09-06-2010, 09:08 PM
Wash and lube your reel after each finishing day of use.

Parts rust, and corrosion builds. This could be the problem.

trevlavo
09-06-2010, 10:29 PM
yeah i figured i would need to do that eventually but the reel is about 1 month old.

xjdesertfox
09-06-2010, 10:45 PM
yeah i figured i would need to do that eventually but the reel is about 1 month old.

take it back to BPS. theyll give you a new one.

trevlavo
09-07-2010, 09:56 AM
yeah i thought that also but since its past 30 days they say its normal wear and tear...im very dissapointed at bps to say the least but since i have used it like 3 times a week since i got it figured at the price i got what i paid for and i know im gonna be going a bit so id like to upgrade anyways. any recos?

Marine_Michael
09-07-2010, 04:17 PM
yeah i thought that also but since its past 30 days they say its normal wear and tear...im very disappointed at bps to say the least but since i have used it like 3 times a week since i got it figured at the price i got what i paid for and i know im gonna be going a bit so id like to upgrade anyways. any recos?

All companies recommend that you clean and re-lube the reel after every use. There is probably some contamination in the bearings causing your problem. Try cleaning it and see if that fixes the problem. As for recommendations, Shimano Curados or Abu Garcia Revo's are hard to beat. I have a Abu Garcia Revo STX myself and it's super smooth. With as much as you say you're using the reel it makes sense to buy something that will last. Whatever you buy it will need routine maintenance to perform at optimum level.

trevlavo
09-07-2010, 04:50 PM
All companies recommend that you clean and re-lube the reel after every use. There is probably some contamination in the bearings causing your problem. Try cleaning it and see if that fixes the problem. As for recommendations, Shimano Curados or Abu Garcia Revo's are hard to beat. I have a Abu Garcia Revo STX myself and it's super smooth. With as much as you say you're using the reel it makes sense to buy something that will last. Whatever you buy it will need routine maintenance to perform at optimum level.

yeah maybe it was a freudian slip so that i could by a new better reel...oh well...i did get into the reel today and clean and lube but to no avail...it looks like the few bearings it has are pretty tore up already. well to buy a new reel i go :-)

Anyone ever mess with the diawa with the twitchin button? looks kinda cool and since i mostly fish a worm/lizard/craw it would be perfect...input?

DarkShadow
09-08-2010, 02:14 PM
I would call BassPro on their bullshit, first and foremost. If they had come to me and told me that 30 days can create "wear and tear," I would ask to speak to the manager, because that is the most ridiculous thing I've heard. unless u were using the reel as wrecking ball, there is no way in hell the issue can be explained by normal wear and tear. in that months span, how many times did u use it?

I guarantee if u speak to the supervisor/manager, u can get refunded and if u want ur chances to increase in bass pro letting u return it, ask for store credit. if they see u are going to spend money there, they will be more willing to letting u return it.

once u have gotten store credit, I would save up another 50 bucks and get the Shimano Caenon. ur asking for small problems if u decide to spend 50 bucks on a baitcaster.

finally, stay away from most bass pro branded items. they are not constructed as well as they market their equipment to be. I had to learn the hard way as well

but yeah, don't take that 30 day crap either. if they say it again, just ask them if they are essentially saying that their reels only have a life span of 30 days and whether customers are aware of that fact. say it loud enough so that people hear it. I guarantee ull get a refund or store credit.

trevlavo
09-08-2010, 02:21 PM
I would call BassPro on their bullshit, first and foremost. If they had come to me and told me that 30 days can create "wear and tear," I would ask to speak to the manager, because that is the most ridiculous thing I've heard. unless u were using the reel as wrecking ball, there is no way in hell the issue can be explained by normal wear and tear. in that months span, how many times did u use it?

I guarantee if u speak to the supervisor/manager, u can get refunded and if u want ur chances to increase in bass pro letting u return it, ask for store credit. if they see u are going to spend money there, they will be more willing to letting u return it.

once u have gotten store credit, I would save up another 50 bucks and get the Shimano Caenon. ur asking for small problems if u decide to spend 50 bucks on a baitcaster.

finally, stay away from most bass pro branded items. they are not constructed as well as they market their equipment to be. I had to learn the hard way as well

but yeah, don't take that 30 day crap either. if they say it again, just ask them if they are essentially saying that their reels only have a life span of 30 days and whether customers are aware of that fact. say it loud enough so that people hear it. I guarantee ull get a refund or store credit.

yup i did that today and low and behold iv got some store credit...and i also ended up with a pflueger reel for free from my uncle so i wont complain for now...when i burn it up or im in the market ill prob pop for one of the shimanos. how much of a pos is the pflueger?

Nessie Hunter
09-09-2010, 08:12 AM
pflueger is what BPS uses for their store brand, so you are back at Square one!!!!!!!

trevlavo
09-09-2010, 08:25 PM
really?? i know bps has there bps brand crap and they also sell fishing stuff under the browning name but never heard pflueger was can anyone clarify? still for free eight nine i cant complain.

MiM
09-09-2010, 08:52 PM
Pflueger is actually owned by Pure Fishing. Same Company that owns Penn, Shakespere, Fenwick, and Abu Garcia. They are decent quality and yes they are (very) similar to BPS reels. The only difference is cosmetics. I have a couple of both BPS and Pflueger reels and am happy with them

Nessie Hunter
09-10-2010, 06:37 AM
really?? i know bps has there bps brand crap and they also sell fishing stuff under the browning name but never heard pflueger was can anyone clarify? still for free eight nine i cant complain.

Yes thats right.
BPS uses Pflueger for most of their Low Profile Reels...
Cabelas uses a lot of Daiwa Reels with their name on them..

Did you think BPS and/or Cabelas made Fishing Reels themselves???

trevlavo
09-10-2010, 10:09 AM
Yes thats right.
BPS uses Pflueger for most of their Low Profile Reels...
Cabelas uses a lot of Daiwa Reels with their name on them..

Did you think BPS and/or Cabelas made Fishing Reels themselves???

oh geez i thought they did...i had a vision of their own little sweatshop with kid labor. come on now i know damn well that most store brands are just rebadged namebrands.

i did some research and it has to be better than the 4 bearing bps pile i had since this reel has 10 bearings and got good reviews...oh well ill fish it til it dies or i feel justified in spending 150. for one of the shimanos or daiwas.

bassgrabber1
09-10-2010, 12:10 PM
My Pfleuger Echelon has performed well for me. It is bullshit that a reel would have messed up bearings after a month. Just a bad workmanship flaw. Stick with your uncle's Pfluegar for now until that time comes again.

trevlavo
09-10-2010, 12:38 PM
yeah im gonna stick with it so far its nice...no complaints...ill update that after i put it through its paces.

exfactor
09-10-2010, 12:48 PM
light reel oil is a wise investment for your baitcaster bearings. To replace them is like 20.00 a pop, versus a couple drops of oil will keep them working flawlessly. It is a good idea to mist your reels with fresh water, not the hose nozzle, but one like you use for delicate plants, wipe dry, and spray WD-40 on the them. Most of my bass buddies do this religiously.

trevlavo
09-11-2010, 01:19 PM
light reel oil is a wise investment for your baitcaster bearings. To replace them is like 20.00 a pop, versus a couple drops of oil will keep them working flawlessly. It is a good idea to mist your reels with fresh water, not the hose nozzle, but one like you use for delicate plants, wipe dry, and spray WD-40 on the them. Most of my bass buddies do this religiously.

thanks for the info