PDA

View Full Version : Bishop Creek Drainage Labor Day weekend slam fest

JAG107
09-06-2010, 04:35 PM
So we made it up this weekend for hopefully some epic fishing, and it didn't disappoint!
Friday afternoon after a quick nap, we hiked up to grass lake and got the weekend off to a quick start. The brookies were hitting all manner of lures, but the big winner was the grasshoppers we found in the field. As soon as they hit the water, it was fish on.
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/attachment.php?attachmentid=25335
Kastmasters 1/12 oz worked best, but little panther martins and buyants worked as well. I even caught my first fish on a fly! I've never got the fly/bubble to work until today. Also, I caught what sure looks like some sort of rainbow/golden, or just a crazy looking rainbow.
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/attachment.php?attachmentid=25334
After we each caught a dozen or so, we headed down to north lake, which for some reason, the evening bite just wasn't happening for us. I had 2 good hits on a pink power worm, but that was it for about 30 mins, so we left.
Saturday morning we got the boat in south lake around 6:15, and on our first casts right off the launch ramp we were on. By 10:30 we had 15 bows caught, kept our 10 and headed back to camp for lunch. All were caught trolling mainly the east shore between the ramp and the island on red/gold buyants, and brown trout kastmasters. By the way, the inlets were totally dead, they either weren't there or had lockjaw. We tried them for an hour for nothing.
Tried fishing the south fork for a couple hours right by Parchers after lunch and had no luck whatsoever on small spinners and salmon eggs. By 6pm we were back on the water though, this time at Sabrina and we were nailing them faster than at South! in 90 mins we caught and released another 14. All these hit my buddy's brown trout kastmaster again, and I was getting irritated because the red/gold buyants weren't doing it. I pulled out this neon orange/white buyant still in its package from a while back and threw it out, and all of a sudden I was catching them all! Lots of action, lots of missed bites and jumpers shaking out hooks, it was awesome.
Sunday was a repeat. South at 6am, but took a while to start catching. Got smaller fish today, too. We only kept 6 of our 14 at South, the rest were just too small or in such good shape after the catch I hated to put em in the basket. Today, I was killing em on K9 Kwikfish in sliver/green, and rainbow patterns. The fish were deeper today, and had to get a few of them using 30' Jet divers with a 6' leader to the lure. Again, kastmasters worked on the top for a while, but it was mostly deeper water action.
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/attachment.php?attachmentid=25336
Another late session provided more trolling goodness, with brass, red/gold buyants, brown trout kastmasters and needlefish, and that crazy orange buyant right at dark nailing em until 8 when we left. All caught were on the surface or just under it. We saw some even chasing the lures down and nailing em 7 or so feet from the boat on the retrieve! Such a blast, go get up there and catch some beautiful sierra trout!

teejay
09-07-2010, 11:36 PM
Trout love those grasshoppers. I remember my kids having the mission of catching them as bait on some of our trips. I think that they had more fun sometimes catching the hoppers than the fish.
Sound like a very nice trip.

AngryAgent
09-08-2010, 12:42 AM
Thats a juvenile Golden you got there! Nice

DEADROOTS
09-08-2010, 08:27 AM
Thats a juvenile Golden you got there! Nice

Golden trout...? I dont think so....

Although, It is an incredibly beautiful rainbow!

Very nice fish, good job!!

Here are some golden trout pics.

Sierra_Smitty
09-08-2010, 08:35 AM
Beautiful little wild rainbow you got there! I actually sent the pictures of that fish to my contact at the DFG - to their knowledge there are no rainbows in that like, only brookies. Pretty cool stuff!