PDA

View Full Version : Powell Fly Rod- Any Reviews?

Piss on Myspace
09-06-2010, 02:56 PM
how goes it fnn? Now that trout season is coming up, im interested in getting into fly fishing...ive found a couple deals online for Powell Rods but I don't know anything bout them, was just wondering if anyone does...comments or reviews would be helpful. Purchase is pending on others reviews.

thanks in advance

bsp
09-06-2010, 04:29 PM
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewpowelltiboronxl9064.html

An older Tackle Tour Review. I have no personal experience with fly fishing, but they seemed to like the rod.

dockboy
09-08-2010, 01:11 PM
Powells are very fine rods, and well priced. They have been mostly left out of the new era of fly rods (Sage G5 rods, Winston Boro IlX, etc). They were one of the first companies to mass mfg. a fly rod, and they do make a great rod.
To be honest, Powell is a good choice, but a little pricey for what you are doing. Lots of guy go out and buy a $500 rod to start with. I reccommend you don't, coming from someone who taught himself how to fly fish , and has fished the very nice rods. Temple Fork Outfitters make a great rod for beginning. Check out their Professional series, in something like a 9' 5wt. I know guide who love TFO and use them as their customer loan rods. You can get a nice Ross or Orvis reel, annd have a combo for under $250. If you like it and want to really get into it, then buy a high end setup