PDA

View Full Version : OC Surf Fishing

mizukry
09-06-2010, 11:29 AM
My first post… Been a member for about a month and really enjoyed reading all the inputs. My daily routine is to come home from work and read about the day’s happenings, then daydreaming about getting an opportunity to join in on the slayage. I’m addicted!!! Finally getting an chance to contribute a little myself…

Plan was to take my 11 year old and his friend (who slept over) and my dad surf fishing yesterday at the crack of dawn. Got up at 4:45 and found out my kid had a fever. Bummer. My wife said go ahead and take Matt (his friend) and my dad. So, off we went. Hit the beach at about 6:30. Tide was at 8:30 so I thought we’d get a few hours of the incoming and about an hour of the outgoing. Fishing was a little slow, but at about 7:00 Matt hooks up. It’s huge… Taking line and going sideways in the surf. Thought it was a leapord shark, but after about 15 minutes, Matt beaches a monster Spotfin. Made my day seeing his elation. We later took it to the local tackle shop and it weighed 4 ¾ lbs. They took his name and info down. Hoping he’ll get into this some of this week’s fish reports, but wait… Daaa!!! Here’s one better. Post him on FNN and send the link to him and his parents… Total for the morning – 2 Spotfins (2nd went about 2 lbs) 3 small perch and a yellowfin croaker). Picture to come, but in the mean time, here’s one of a trip I took with my dad last month…

smokehound
09-06-2010, 01:12 PM
yellowfin croaker are the bomb, man. Good haul.

You got some nice perch there. Did you use sandcrabs?

JimmisLine
09-06-2010, 01:18 PM
NIce Fish form befor. Looking forward to the other Pics. What were you using for bait? And beach in the OC were you at ?

murrieta angler
09-06-2010, 01:43 PM
Nice job Miz!
Even better taking the neighbor kid out.
Looking forward to pics,
Robert

mizukry
09-06-2010, 08:33 PM
[QUOTE=smokehound;485922]yellowfin croaker are the bomb, man. Good haul.

You got some nice perch there. Did you use sandcrabs?[/Lugworms]

smokehound
09-07-2010, 09:59 PM
[QUOTE=smokehound;485922]yellowfin croaker are the bomb, man. Good haul.

You got some nice perch there. Did you use sandcrabs?[/Lugworms]What city did you catch these at, Huntington? I went there a few days ago, and I was finding massive sandcrab beds.. Lots of golf-ball sized softshells, too.

DockRat
09-08-2010, 06:25 AM
Lots of golf-ball sized softshells, too.

I'm calling BS on the size.
DR

mizukry
09-08-2010, 08:48 PM
[QUOTE=mizukry;486001]What city did you catch these at, Huntington? I went there a few days ago, and I was finding massive sandcrab beds.. Lots of golf-ball sized softshells, too.Sunset Beach

mizukry
09-08-2010, 09:21 PM
QUOTE=smokehound;486219]
What city did you catch these at, Huntington? I went there a few days ago, and I was finding massive sandcrab beds.. Lots of golf-ball sized softshells, too.Sunset Beach. Also, finally got Matt's picutres. Still learning the "how to's" of this website...

smokehound
09-09-2010, 12:41 AM
I'm calling BS on the size.
DRWhen I said "golfball" I used the term like you would describe "golf-ball" sized hailstones.

Though a few of them really DID end up being nearly two-inches long.

...Havent you ever seen big sandcrabs? (excluding the ones clinging to your pubes)

:LOL: