PDA

View Full Version : Opaleye pb in the lbc (late afternoon)

GGA
09-05-2010, 11:53 PM
AFTER CHRUCH WENT TO HIT THE USUAL SPOT FOR THE PERCH'S. HOPPED ON THE NEW 26" FT SEASWRIL "STRIPER". CAUGHT 20+OPALEYE, SIZES RANGING 7-19" INCHES. tHE FIRST HOUR WE WERE LANDING HUGEEEEE!!!! GRADES. HAVE TO BE HONEST BETTER THAN SAND BASS OR CALICOS. THOSE SUCKERS FIGHT AND THERE BIG ONES. WATER TEMP WAS 61, GRAY CLOUDS AROUND 400PM, 1-2 FEET SWEELS, MAYBE 1 MINUTE IN BETWEEN EACH BREAKS, WARTY WAS CALM CONSIDERING THE TIME WE FISHED. THE WIND WAS 8-12 KNOTS. ALL IN ALL GOOD FISHING. ICE BOX FULL OF NICE GRADE OPALEYE. ALSO OPALEYE ARE VERY GOOD EATING BETTER THAN BASS'S FOR SURE. AND OTHER ROCK FISH.

JapanRon
09-06-2010, 07:15 AM
Hi GGA,

Nice fishys !

JapanRon

Ifishtoolittle
09-06-2010, 11:11 AM
Need pics :). Nice job on slaying the opaleyes. Those little buggers can the easiest or hardest fish to catch.

murrieta angler
09-06-2010, 01:40 PM
Good Job GGA.
Is the boat yours?
Just curious,
Robert

gletemfeelsteelgary
09-09-2010, 05:51 PM
congrats....luv ta see some pics....

I used to fish the opalye off the federal breaker wall in san pedro and absolutely annialated the big fat grumps...

used ta get 'em in the 3-4 lb range pretty regularly....

right in the rocks using those green roach like bugs I'd catch off the rocks....

I'll aggree that they are DELICIOUS !....

been years since I've had 'em or fished for them for that matter but man I had some good days on those suckas..

I used ta inadvertantly catch the big bull garabaldi as well....5-6 lbders sometimes...they are some serious fighters as well...too bad you can't eat those as well, I heard they are supposed to be good but protected...

What did ya catch them on ?

Pics ?

smokehound
09-09-2010, 08:02 PM
congrats....luv ta see some pics....

I used to fish the opalye off the federal breaker wall in san pedro and absolutely annialated the big fat grumps...

used ta get 'em in the 3-4 lb range pretty regularly....

right in the rocks using those green roach like bugs I'd catch off the rocks....

I'll aggree that they are DELICIOUS !....

been years since I've had 'em or fished for them for that matter but man I had some good days on those suckas..

I used ta inadvertantly catch the big bull garabaldi as well....5-6 lbders sometimes...they are some serious fighters as well...too bad you can't eat those as well, I heard they are supposed to be good but protected...

What did ya catch them on ?

Pics ?Cool! Ive used those with success too. I was at dana point harbor a few years back, and caught one. It didnt sit there for long.. Big fat buttermouth inhaled it.

DockRat
09-10-2010, 06:45 AM
Saw some Asian guys fishing Opies at KH and they were useing some dried seaweed for bait from a Asian market.

Opie Vegans.

DR