PDA

View Full Version : Need advice: tuna out of San Diego

bonzo
09-05-2010, 10:20 PM
Friends, I'm still new to this. Want to take the nephew out for 1.5 day YFT/BFT/albies out of SD. Is this a good week, or should I wait? I understand that it's been an odd summer, water is still cold, the fish might not be coming far enough north. Some boats are coming back with 60 tuna for 30 anglers, others with only 10. Any advice on recommended timing and a good boat would be welcome. Thanks!

LA Smoker
09-07-2010, 05:37 PM
They've been biting pretty well for the past couple weeks for the most part. Get out there and fish. As far as boats... personal preference. Legend has been on the bite. Markus on the New LoAnn will get my money, if the Condor gets out, I'd ride her hard.

WARRIORMIKE
09-07-2010, 06:41 PM
Hasn't been consistent. I would wait until the bite get WFO. Just my opinion!

DockRat
09-08-2010, 06:41 AM
Hasn't been consistent. I would wait until the bite get WFO. Just my opinion!

WFO ??? Coming this July 2011 :ROFL:

DR

WARRIORMIKE
09-08-2010, 05:55 PM
WFO ??? Coming this July 2011 :ROFL:

DR

lets hope even then

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
09-09-2010, 01:02 PM
bonzo,
I would keep checking the fish counts at all of the SD landings (H&M, Fishermans Landing, Point Loma and Seaforth). Also check which boats had high fish counts for their trips and make your decision from there as to which landing, boat, etc.
I would also try to go when the average fish per person count is 3 or better so your chances are greater at bringing home what you're looking for, especially if this is your nephew's first tuna trip. If it is, tell a deck hand and he'll be well taken care of when fishing.
Good Luck !
TTFM