PDA

View Full Version : Help? Fishing Big Pine Creek this weekend.

Mase
07-24-2007, 09:36 AM
Hey guys. I'm going up to the Sierras for only my second time. This time I'll be camping and fishing Big Pine Creek around the Glacier lodge area. I've never been up there before and was wondering what areas I should try out up there. How's the water level?

I heard there's a pond up there and a chain of lakes up there too. How far can I drive past Glacier Lodge? I off-road quite a bit but it wont do any good if it's a hiker only trail.

Also, does anybody know if the area is still nice even after the fire. I checked out some USGS maps and it looks like it came within a mile of the Lodge.

I plan on bringing some waders and maybe my tube. I'll probably also throw out a couple pather martins. I'm not much of a bait waiter. Any tips would be appreciated! Thanks!

Scott H.
07-24-2007, 11:11 AM
I know the area very well.

If you're solely planning to fish the Big Pine Creek area up in the canyon, leave the float tube at home. Waders may come in handy but I generally wade into the stream in shorts and shoes/sandals.

90 percent of the fish I've caught in the creek have come on a couple Pautzke's salmon eggs on a size 12 or 14 hook with a couple BB shot about 12-18 inches above the hook. Use 2 pound test line. You can use worms, too, same set up or small spinners - in deeper pools or deeper running water. The fish hold in eddies and behind rocks, against shore and under trees. Be prepared for a lot of hunching, squatting, etc.

Two years ago I nailed fish left and right in the pond with Lip Ripperz of all different colors. I flylined em or used a small BB shot about 12-18 inches above the hook.

The first lake above the Lodge can be done up and back in a day if you're in good shape. Otherwise, it's a backpacking trip up to those lakes but it's worth it. There is a great report from a FNNer on here regarding his recent trip up there.

The fires did not burn up the Lodge side of the canyon and all is well up there.

Enjoy your trip and post a report when you get back. Looks like I may not be able to get up there this year. However, I was able to fish every day last week in Wisconsin!

See this report:
http://www.fishingnetwork.net/forum1/vi ... php?t=3962 (http://www.fishingnetwork.net/forum1/viewtopic.php?t=3962)

Mase
07-26-2007, 09:38 AM
Thanks a lot for the info. I'm looking forward to camping only 25yds away from fishing. I stocked up on some new kastmasters and will pick up some salmon eggs today.

I'll post up a report when I get back.