PDA

View Full Version : Long Beach in harbor and outside the wall

JL
09-05-2010, 10:28 AM
Launched at Davey around 8 am Visibility about 200 yards in the harbor reduced to about 50 yards outside the harbor. Should have put the bait barges on my GPS , Took over an hour to find the Bait barges. Lots of boats searching in the fog. Again the bait barge with ????? ( sorry i can't remember his name ---- something like nacho or Lopez or something----) has the best anchovies south of Santa barbara. He always has quality bait. And he was The only receiver with lights on which helped us find him in the fog. Anchovies were large, and active in the bait tank all day.

Fished in the larger harbor area........ lots of small croaker, ( i wonder sometimes if any predator feeds on Crocker since they are everywhere in the harbor)
Fished the outside of the wall. 1 very nice sculpin, 1 Gopher rock fish. At about 11 the winds started whippping up the water and in 15 minutes we were getting tossed around by a very stiff and cold wind. Still fishing in the fog.

Back in the Harbor at the "humps" caught the usual mackeral and 1 Small Stake Ray Also Fished near Freeman island. Caught a Larger Stake Ray here about 30 inch across

I read some where that that these have tasty meat. Maybe someone out there can share what parts and portions one would eat and how to clean it........... I can't image it tasting good?

Also caught some baby things with lots of teeth

Water temp. still low. Outside the harbor 58 inside 60 - 62.

A california biologist was at the doc when returned measuring, weighing and charting the location of all the fish caught that day. She would warn anyone with illegal catch but does not have any power to cite.

Good Fishing and God Bless...

Reminder.............. Next Saturday is 9 11 Don't forget!!!!!

smokehound
09-05-2010, 11:05 AM
...stake ray?

Croakers DO make good live bait. Small White croaker is a common live bait. often called "Brown-Bait".

I bet a nice lively fat yellowfin croaker would entice a bruiser Sevengill shark at night..

murrieta angler
09-06-2010, 01:52 PM
Tanks for the report JL.
This is just a crazy summer. I'm here in Murrieta today and it's 78 degrees, yesterday it was over 100.
Robert

Mr Magoo
09-06-2010, 10:54 PM
I have also heard that thoes skates (Guitar Fish?) are very good eating, but they don't look like it. Has any one ever tried it? I have caught so many of them and thrown them back.

mil sonrisas
09-06-2010, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the report!
I met a man on one of the piers i fished on a while back, and he told me the rays were good eating. he explained to me that the wings, if prepared carefully, taste just like scallops. he told me to cut off the "wing" part and skin/fillet them. next use a biscuit cutter(???) to cut out round pieces of meat and soak them overnight in vinegar. next day cook them as you would scallops. he swore they were delicious. i've never tried it, so if anyone has, let me know how they taste!