PDA

View Full Version : Antelope Siphon, Hesperia rpt

Lunker1979
09-05-2010, 10:05 AM
Well I hit the Siphon this morning around 0530 am. Water was MOVING!!! Tried throwing the KPN for nada. I don't know what the hell I'm doing. Fishing the duct is tougher than I thought. Tons of salad every cast, you're lucky to get two casts in before it was fully engulfed in salad. Tried the different "water columns" with no luck. Current is moving so fast I couldn't figure out if I should throw up current or down. I figured the best way to fish it was cast up current and retrieve with the current. The only problem with that is you have to retrieve at light speed or your lure is just floating down current.

So I walked a ways, fished, walked, fished, walked fished, nada. I did get excited because I saw two huge splashes in the water at one point, so I know they are in there. Made it down to the power lines and decided to turn around. Fished the way back for nada. Apparently it's dove season for two weeks so I had to worry about getting shot in my rear end with bird shot. Dudes walking aroud everywhere carrying shotties in their camos, gun shots going off everywhere. It was interesting that's for sure. Fished until about 830 or so and called it quits. Took out my pistol and tried to shoot a few doves but couldn't hit them from about 60 yards away. Feet were starting to hurt ( wore sandals) so I called it a day. (Kidding about shooting the doves, calm down guys) I was tempted to drive over to the wood and try my luck there, but decided to head home instead. The duct is tough, I need to see how you guys do it with the water moving like that. KPN sure got dinged up quite a bit though, not too happy about that. M@M, you're gonna have to show me how to do it....or let me know when the water slows down. Saw one guy as I was leaving at the Siphon throwing Chovies. Said he was having a tough time staying on the bottom due to the fast moving water. I guess you need to toss out a brick with your chovie to keep it there. Until next time boys.............

yolo
09-05-2010, 10:52 AM
Good effort and you will only learn it if you keep fishing it. You should cast in all directions and work all depths. It is tough right now with all the moss. If you got 2 casts without having to clear the moss off, you are actually doing really good. In the AV, you clear moss every cast and usually only get 5 or 6 cranks before the moss is clumped on the lure and hooks and ruins the action. In these conditions, I would use a 1 1/2 or 2 oz bucktail. It is less affected by the moss and can work it the whole cast and retrieve back even with some moss on it.

seal
09-05-2010, 11:16 AM
They had the Wood drawn down a bit last week, I don't know I thought maybe it was for the Labor day weekend or something. Could be they are fill'n her back up, I hope! Anyways that's a tough stretch but you are correct they are there, last time they searched for cars in there the DFG guy told me he didn't see tons of fish there but what he saw were big ones. Those guys out there again doing the Dove hunting? Last year they were actually walking the Duct trail, that's not legal and I wish the DFG would come along and kick them out! I might make it down there tomorrow morning, better wear a flak jacket.

Marine_Michael
09-05-2010, 01:34 PM
Keep at it, the fish are out there. I actually landed a @ 3 lb striper two weeks ago in the middle of the day, out here in the AV. http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/rysman/album%20name/08-23-10_1730.jpg

Yesterday I had a 6-7 lb striper almost to the side after it's 6th run, when the line snapped. It was less than 5' from the waters edge when it got one more burst of energy and swam off with my lure.

Lunker1979
09-05-2010, 02:31 PM
Yeah, we will see what happens. I just think with all the moss the lures aren't working right unless you are stripping them clean of the moss every cast.....I dunno, kind of a pain. Then you are spending more time cleaning your lures than fishing. I thought about top water lures but I left my tackle in the truck and just walked with my net and pole. I'll keep at it but I think if you can hit it at the right time with the right flows you might have a better shot. The two lunkers that came up and made a good splash were a ways away from the siphon. Probably carp for all I know....but they were big!

yolo
09-05-2010, 05:51 PM
Fish jumping near siphons is carp or catfish. Stripers will do more of a swirl when. At least that has been my duct experience. Many people think it's stripers always jumping but 99% of the time it will be carp and catfish.

Lunker1979
09-05-2010, 06:49 PM
Well I wouldn't say it was near a siphon...........if you are familiar with that area, it was a ways down from the siphon probably the power line area. It was more of a big splash at the top of the water, not like an airborn LMB. Who knows, could have been anything I guess. I did see lots of swirls and stuff but I figured with all the currents who knows what was going on under water. Saw quite a few of bait fish as well hugging the banks. They area probably scared to death to swim around anywhere. You would think you would be able to slam the striper when there is little to no current. The problem is I guess you don't really know when that is. I'll keep trying but apparently the striper bite is hot at DVL, so I think I'll be headed out there again next week.

trail blazer
09-06-2010, 12:39 PM
Fish jumping near siphons is carp or catfish. Stripers will do more of a swirl when. At least that has been my duct experience. Many people think it's stripers always jumping but 99% of the time it will be carp and catfish.

YEP!!Exactly!!!!,CARP,,,,,,,,,Big ones!!

M@M
09-06-2010, 02:34 PM
Lunker1979...Water is really fast with veggies...I just now saw your post. thanks for the report. I'll let you know when water gets better. I haven't been out lately for that reason. Spent all day Sunday hiking at Deep Creek. Saw a couple groups fishing for tiny cats,chubs, and bluegill?:Confused:..... Was a beautiful 6mi.(there and back) hike, mostly thru the water some spots over my head. Water was refreshing, I felt like Tarzan:Smile:

seal
09-07-2010, 08:08 AM
Lunker1979...Water is really fast with veggies...I just now saw your post. thanks for the report. I'll let you know when water gets better. I haven't been out lately for that reason. Spent all day Sunday hiking at Deep Creek. Saw a couple groups fishing for tiny cats,chubs, and bluegill?:Confused:..... Was a beautiful 6mi.(there and back) hike, mostly thru the water some spots over my head. Water was refreshing, I felt like Tarzan:Smile:

Big bluegill in there, the lower section, sounds like that's where you were.

Nessie Hunter
09-07-2010, 09:56 AM
Lunker1979...Spent all day Sunday hiking at Deep Creek. Saw a couple groups fishing for tiny cats,chubs, and bluegill?:Confused:..... Was a beautiful 6mi.(there and back) hike, mostly thru the water some spots over my head. Water was refreshing, I felt like Tarzan:Smile:

Ahh Deep Creek..

Young Dad just killed his son there, DUI Felony manslaughter..
Off Road & Alcohol just dont mix well!!!!!
Any Driving and drinking is trouble looking for a place to happen!!!

http://www.vvdailypress.com/news/deep-21589-kilmer-creek.html

M@M
09-07-2010, 12:19 PM
Big bluegill in there, the lower section, sounds like that's where you were.

Maybe I'll take a pole next time:Smile:

M@M
09-07-2010, 12:23 PM
Ahh Deep Creek..

Young Dad just killed his son there, DUI Felony manslaughter..
Off Road & Alcohol just dont mix well!!!!!
Any Driving and drinking is trouble looking for a place to happen!!!

http://www.vvdailypress.com/news/deep-21589-kilmer-creek.html

Tragic! I saw about a half dozen people in Rhino type vehicles some with their kids. Like I said water was over my head in some areas.

gletemfeelsteelgary
09-07-2010, 04:22 PM
Keep on it...in no time current will subside and make things 85% more fishable....

Look at the bright side of things....by fishing these conditions you'll be SO much more comforatable when the flows decrease and veggiess subside...

Don't worry too much bout scratching the KPN's ...I get them all the time on lures that are beat ta hell....as long as it isn't "Cracked" it'll still catch fish....

Keep fightin' the good fight...

Payday is right around the corner....