PDA

View Full Version : East Side, 9/3-9/4

dockboy
09-04-2010, 10:06 PM
Headed north Thursday evening and camped for a couple nights at Rock Creek. Fished the 3rd in several locations. Started off with Rock Creek by the campground (East Fork) and managed about 20 fish, all stockers with a few holdovers. One fish was a beautiful 16" holdover going on 3lbs, and sadly no pics to prove it.
Went up above the lake to the Mosquito Flats area and explore. Fished the creek at roadside for some nice wild browns. Left the canyon and headed to Mammoth, in hopes of hitting Saddlebag. Since this wasnt a fishing oriented trip, I hoped the Saddlebag Lake region would be a nice blend of activities. Alas, with the partner feeling ill, it was not to be. Decided on Lake Mary, and fished the shore for an hour or so. Missed a fish on a Power Grub that came off instantly, and saw a nice sized fish cruising. Also happened to meet ~ 200lb bear looking for shoreline lunch, and of course, no pics. Ive seen my share of ursine creatures, but its always cool to see one up and close. Headed to camp in hopes of nice evening bite, and managed to get a couple on dry flies.
Fished the 4th at Rock Creek Lake early in the morning for 4 fish, with a few lost too. All at the inlet, getting out as far as possible off the drop off with the lower water levels. Gave the first to the gentleman who was next to me, and released the rest for the future. After camp was packed, I managed a fish on a streamer at the creek, and then headed south. Tried a little spot that I fish occasionally heading south for no love, and then hit Lone Pine Creek for about 20 minutes. Managed 2, and then decided I needed to get home.
All the fish were 'bows, no browns or brooks sadly. One holdover over 15", and a few other nice ones, as well as sleuth of fish 9 (for a non-fishing trip). All the creek fish were caught on spinners, plastics, spoons, and small cranks. The RCL fish all ate a TB or small Kroc (the few relatively small but heavy baits). No bait fish this trip, maybe because the pressure. Those going up soon should be aware. Before the crowds, the bite was much easier. Even today was twice as difficult of fishing, due the large amount of anglers from Labor Day crowds. May not be a bad time to find some new water or hit that secluded spot :Smile:
Good luck and thanks for reading!

Which Way Out
09-05-2010, 08:23 AM
Nice report DB.
Heading up on the 15th after the crowds bail out. I just hope they leave some fish.

dockboy
09-05-2010, 12:34 PM
agreed. Im planning on heading back up next weekend and hit some areas that really go off this time of year. This time I fished in places I've never really fished much. Last time I fished RCL it was at least 10 years back, so it was nice to rediscover the places up there.