PDA

View Full Version : Salt water reel dilemma .... PLEASE HELP !!!

nuplacebo
09-03-2010, 08:56 PM
Hi FNN members,
I need your expertise with this dilemma of mine. I'm planning to buy a saltwater reel but there are so many options out there. :EyePop: After I did a few trips to local tackle shop, read few blogs, online store etc, I narrowed down my options to these few reels : 1. Okuma Clarion 2. Daiwa Saltist, 3. Shimano Torium. Here are some questions I had in mind. Should I get ones with levelwind? Most people recommend without because it broke easily? Is that true? I thought levelwind should make your life easier, isn't that the whole purpose? Does line counter option important at all ? As you can tell most of them are star drag. What about lever drag ? Is it true that lever drag reel is harder to cast?
I am open to any suggestions. Thank you for reading this post !! :Wink:

megafisher94
09-03-2010, 09:32 PM
i depends on the type of saltwater your doing and if your comfortable using reels without a levelwind.

for inshore bass, i like the shimano calcutta 400. i use it for everything and it lasts a long time it you treat it right.

for cuda, i like the torium 16. it chucks jigs very well and can double for other bigger species as well as deep water because of the bigger drag
and crank.

and most okumas ive seen crap out very easy...

overall, id go with the calcutta 400. it holds enough line that ive fished 300ft+ with it and has enough
finesse to fish plastics and live bait for bass and sculpin.

TFC_arvilJDM
09-03-2010, 09:51 PM
You can easily scratch out the Okuma from your list.

I've owned both Saltist & Torium. To be honest, Torium is way smoother and has better castabilty when your tossin out jigs. I had a Saltist 20 that landed few cudas, fun for a small reel, but cast distance wasn't as great. Also have a Saltist LD 2-Speed, ditto as the 20. I still own the Torium 20, cast further (cover more water if tossin jigs)

As for levelwinds, not recommended on bigger reels.

And line counters, never used one, but just depends on your type of fishing, mainly depth fishing obviously.

These are my personal expieriences. Good luck on your future purchases.

nuplacebo
09-04-2010, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the suggestions !
I mainly fish from offshore and open party boat trip. Either from MDR or San Pedro.
I'm also thinking to do Tuna fishing soon. Any suggestions on a good open party trip ? From SoCal area or San Diego would be nice..
Is Okuma really that bad? I have the Trio 50 spinning reel. It's one amazing reel for the price. I would definitely recommend it to others.
Does anybody have a different opinion on Clarion?
I've seen quite a few Saltist user but not many Toriums.
FYI Sports Chalet is currently giving out 15% discount on reels !!

exfactor
09-04-2010, 02:59 PM
What many anglers forget is that "you are going to be fishing for the rest of your life" You may think you r saving now by only getting what you can afford, but eventually you will need to service even the best reels made. Shimano has a great service department, and makes a good product. As far a casting, you can cast any reel well if you know how to cast. levelwind reels are great for throwing plastics, but not necessary. Jump in and get a torium, and learn how to use it. And remember, the rod is what catches the fish. The reel helps. Mikey

yoitsbruce
09-04-2010, 04:04 PM
yeah stay away from the levelwind reels there flimsy on saltwater reels not as effective than fresh water. thumbing the line is easy and will take you 2 minutes to master. i still use my saltist 30t its a good reel for the price the drag is tight and torque is good. i heard bad things about okuma so i wuld stay away from it, all because replacement parts are not as available like daiwa or shimano. lever drags are cool but dont cast as well than star drag systems

Which Way Out
09-05-2010, 09:29 AM
Just to mix it up a bit. I picked up an Ambassador Abu Garcia Revo Toro 60. Its an inshore rated reel but very heavy duty. First cast was so smooth I nicknamed it Keith Stone...lol. Anyway just give it a look if you have a chance. There is also a 50 and a few smaller ones, just be sure the reel you buy is saltwater rated. All the others mention are very nice as well but would agree the Okuma might be on the least desirable side, but if that's all you can afford go ahead and get it. Clean it well each time and good luck on your choice.

nuplacebo
09-06-2010, 08:52 AM
I like that theory Mikey. Any good recomendation for saltwater rod?

TFC_arvilJDM
09-06-2010, 10:41 AM
I like that theory Mikey. Any good recomendation for saltwater rod?

Cal Star, Seeker, Gloomis, just to name the few...expensive, but well worth it. Like they said, you're fishing for life.

murrieta angler
09-06-2010, 02:29 PM
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/spo/1939280755.html

cant beat that with a stick. now go find a rod!

murrieta angler
09-06-2010, 02:36 PM
The one above is probably supposed to be a 16.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/spo/1939275700.html

buy all 3!

heydaad
09-06-2010, 02:38 PM
IMHO ... get yourself a Newell 200 series and an 8ft cork handled rod, run 30# braid and tie on whatever test flouro leader you want for the conditions. Newells' cast a mile, have a very good drag, and really easy to clean and maintain. If you want to step up a notch get a 300 series Newell (narrow) and load it for bear with 40 or 50# braid and the flouro leader to match your needs. For the budget minded, 2 reels, one really good rod ... evertying else fits in a small pack.

troutdog
09-06-2010, 02:39 PM
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/spo/1939280755.html

cant beat that with a stick. now go find a rod!

Torium18? Is there such a model? I've seen 14, 16, 20, 30 and 50s....18? Prolly a typo.

That being said I love my Torium20 and can't wait to purchase my next one!

TD

murrieta angler
09-06-2010, 05:11 PM
Torium18? Is there such a model? I've seen 14, 16, 20, 30 and 50s....18? Prolly a typo.

That being said I love my Torium20 and can't wait to purchase my next one!

TD

If you look at my next post I kinda said the same thing.

troutdog
09-06-2010, 06:46 PM
If you look at my next post I kinda said the same thing.

yeah kinda...I'm slow on the draw today I guess! :LOL:

TD

LA Smoker
09-07-2010, 04:53 PM
Borrow someone's leverdrag and get comfortable with it and see if you like it before you purchase one. I'm starting to slowly lose my affection for my Avets.

For your type of fishing, I recommend a star drag. I prefer the Saltist over the torium, they feel more solid than the torium. Saltists are being blown out to make room for the new model, so you can get it for a pretty good price these days. Saltist vs Torium is like Pepsi vs coke, just comes down to personal preference. My favorite Saltist is the 30H??? (the torque model, not the high speed).

nuplacebo
09-07-2010, 08:24 PM
Okay folks, thanks again for the comments.
I finally narrow down my selection to these selection for reels:
1. Avet MXJ or MXL
2. Daiwa Saltist 30H or 40H
Anyone currently own both or have tried em side by side?

nuplacebo
09-07-2010, 09:27 PM
The new saltist(black gold) looks quite nice also.
I wonder how good they are?

Nessie Hunter
09-08-2010, 08:10 AM
Okay folks, thanks again for the comments.
I finally narrow down my selection to these selection for reels:
1. Avet MXJ or MXL
2. Daiwa Saltist 30H or 40H
Anyone currently own both or have tried em side by side?

If the Avet's are in your budget that would be the way I would go.
Probably one of the best Reels available..
I work on Reels and Avet's are as pretty inside as they are outside.
I would upgrade them with Carbontex Greased drags though...

I am a Daiwa guy also, prefer them to Shimano Toriums, but its a personal thing, they are both Excellent Reels.
Those Used Toriums above are a good deal..
Same price range as what I was going to suggest .
Daiwa Sealine X models.. Great Reels for $100..

Do stick with the name brands though.. Shimano, Avet, Daiwa...
Stay away from Okuma, Penn & Newell..
Okuma is low quality materials. (but coming up & competing with the others).
Penn & Newell, are multi piece frames and 50+ yr old designed innards.
IMHO, a PITA to keep them together with so many things to go wrong and weak thin Gears..

I own and use, Penn's, Newells, Shimano & Daiwa.. (wish I could afford Avet's)..
I can cast my Saltist's further then the rest and they're as strong as they get, "Full Metal Jacket" is no joke...
With less maintenance..............

nuplacebo --
The new Saltist (black gold) has an anodized finish instead of paint..
Much stronger finish, lasts way better.
Other wise just about the same, except much sweeter looking.. No reason to change anything else...

I also agree with the Revo 50 & 60.. They are the new killer Reels, Line capacity keeps them at 20# to 25# reels but that will get you a lot of local/short range smaller Tuna, paddy Dorado & Y/T..
Love to have a 60....