PDA

View Full Version : Last Chance Qualifier for King of the Cats Sept 4th

VineAssist
09-01-2010, 01:46 PM
That's right folks this Saturday, September 4th, is the last qualifier for the King or Queen of the Cats. All you gotta do to qualify is place in the top 10 this weekend. With a lot of names allready in the pot it is highly encouraged to weigh in any catfish you do catch in hopes of getting an at large birth due to somebody in the top 10 having allready qualified.
With the fall bite starting to kick in here at the lake I expect to see some better grade fish makin their way to the scales here in the next few weeks. Traditionally September and October is the time for the big Blues and Channels. It is recommended that if you are going to target these trophy sized fish you have the following
a)use at least 15lb to 20lb line. These fish will run into any cover and can weigh in excess of 100lbs. A good quality line will up your chances of landing these fish. Maxima, P-Line and Big Game are excellent choices.
b) use a premium or designer hook. I have heard way to many horror stories and have experienced it myself. When you hook these giant fish on the wrong gear. Odds are dramatically reduced that you will land these fish. 4/0 to 8/0 Siwash style hooks that are heavier duty come highly recommended. Some guys prefer circles, its all a matter of choice. Be warned if you like to swing for the fences a circle hook is not for you.
c) the most common error I have seen with this style of fishing. Have a quality landing net that is BIG enough for the size fish you are targeting. In other words do not "bring a slingshot to a gun fight!"
d) fish big baits and change them often. The more scent you have in the water the better. A piece of f cut fillet that has been sittin on the bottom for hours is nothing like fresh cut.
Hope this all helps and I also wish everyone a happy labor day weekend
Jimmy

troutdog
09-01-2010, 02:00 PM
Won't be able to make it out this time around, but wish all fellow FNNers good luck Saturday night....

See you at the King of the Cats "GO BIG or Go home" tourney in October! :Twisted:

TD

evalrez
09-01-2010, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the pointers Jimmy and have an awesome labor day weekend yourself