PDA

View Full Version : NPH Help

reptile dude007
09-01-2010, 12:06 PM
Hello, my dad and I are planning on taking a trip to NPH on Monday. We plan on targeting Spotted bass. I have been reading threw older post's and it seems you guys catch them on soft Plastic shrimp and Soft plastic Minnows. But, how would you guys recommend rigging them up? And where would be the better spots for the spotties?

smokehound
09-01-2010, 12:32 PM
Gulp! Shrimp-- new penny color is good.

Gulp Jerk Shads-- Nuclear Chicken is a proven color for spotties. These are also popular for Drop-shot.

Then there are Big Hammer Swimbaits-- very wide array of colors--- christmas tree, Margarita, fongfish, and Red Calico Hunter are quite effective. You can purchase these directly from swimbait.com.

Good Big Hammers for halis are: Bay Smelt, Sexy Smelt, Glowbug, but they will hit GUlp! shrimps, zoom flukes, jerk-shads.. Pearl and white grubs are also good for halis.

You want to target structure for Spotties, cast around docks, buoys, idle boats, bridge pilings. They also love eelgrass.

Bouncing big-hammers and gulp-shrimps on the bottom, this usually drives spotties nuts. It looks like a baitfish pecking around for food.

keep in mind though, that sometimes the fish only want a certain color.. Buy a few alternate colors, in case the fish dont want any of the above.

The entire harbor is full of good spots.

reptile dude007
09-01-2010, 01:19 PM
Thanks alot Hound!

pargo lsb
09-01-2010, 02:18 PM
Hound is right on, he knows nph.

like to add one more... if you fish from tube / yak / boat, and have a fish finder... keep looking for sharpe depth change. like edge of the main channel, or any irregularity on the bottom... these underwater structure will hold fish.

reptile dude007
09-01-2010, 02:26 PM
Thank you!

How heavy of line should I use? I'm planning on taking one of my reels with 6 and a reel with 8 lb line on it. Would this be heavy/light enough?

TFC_arvilJDM
09-01-2010, 02:57 PM
Thank you!

How heavy of line should I use? I'm planning on taking one of my reels with 6 and a reel with 8 lb line on it. Would this be heavy/light enough?

Your test line is perfect for bass. Just hope you don't catch/snag a big ray. Its happened before. To be spooled or unspooled? Haha.

xjdesertfox
09-01-2010, 03:15 PM
Thank you!

8lbs spinning, 12lbs casting.