PDA

View Full Version : Bubble Boy Hooks Up

DockRat
09-01-2010, 06:55 AM
Went To KH after work for a 1 1/2 hour session.
Kinda getting into this bubble fishing landed 2 Bonito on the fly.

The set up.
8 lb main line.
Big clear bubble 1/2 full of water above a swivel.
4 lb Flourocarbon leader 12' long leader (yep, Twelve foot leader)
3" lime green feather purchased from Rocky Point Sportfishing (RPS) this feather has a small cone head with eyes and a 1/4" x 1 1/2" leather strip attached from the head.

RPS is where they rent skiffs in Redondo at the Hemosa side of the Baleen (Portofino) Hotel. If you go there ask to see the flies. They have a dozen large plastic organizers full of flies kept under the counter out of sight (secret spot) $3.95 ea

I can cast this set up way out about 150'. 1st cast yesterday I heard these guys say ' WHOA that was far '

Been slow reeling with a pop splash every 3rd crank.

The splash simulates a surface strike and attract fish and birds.

THE BEST PART is the ATTACK. This has to be the most exciting moment since they don't hit the fly right away. Major Boils sometimes 2' - 3' feet behind the bubble gets you ready for when they hit. Friken Seagulls dive at the bubble too. Last week I had a MAJOR BOIL behind the bubble and I saw the fish. 1st thought was a seal, but no seals in the area at the time. I'm sure it was a Broomtail Grouper. It was wide and the color was right.

It might take 10 - 20 casts for some action but when it happens, it's fun.

1 Bonito at 2 lbs (peanut)
1 Bonito at 3 lbs (still small)

This bubble fishing was real popular in the 60's & 70's. When I was a kid I remember seeing a dozen guys on the rocks at KH fishing this way.

Methods: Been talking to alot of people (older guys) about bubble, fly fishing.
Keep getting different opinions. One guy said 3' to 4' leader is the best.
Another guys said 10' to 15' leader, slow wind and slow bubble pops.
Seen 1 guy speed reeling without popping.

Any FNN ers do any Bubble Boy Fishing ?

Give it a try sometimes. Good Luck, DR

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k59/ashleythibs/bubble.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w131/memeticianII/boy-bubble.jpg

Which Way Out
09-01-2010, 09:00 AM
Never bubble fished the ocean, just creeks. However we used to cast large red and white bobbers off the seal beach pier and then snap on a 3 or 4 foot leader with an live anchovy. Slide it down the line to the bobber. The anchovy would swim circles around the bobber. At times the anchovy would live for hours until the bonita came through. Lots of fun That was back in the early 70s.

worksucks
09-01-2010, 10:30 AM
I've also heard both the slow retrieve and quick retrieve recommendations (with and without pops), but what I've notice in my experiences is that a fast retrieve will induce a repeat strike. Back in my college days, when I had time to get out to KH more frequently, I found that if I miss a strike on a fast retrieve, there will be a second attempt a few yards later on the same retrieve if I keep up the pace. If I slow down the retrieve, then nothing. I don't know how valid my comment is because I haven't caught a bonito since gotten back into after a long hiatus. I slipped on the rocks 15 years on the KH rocks and got a 4 inch laceration on my shin which required a bunch of stitches. Been skiddish for a decade to get back on the rocks. Now as I venture back by Joe's Crab Shack, I always tend to find a way to hit the rocks or wall behind and crack my bubbels. Now I am giving krocs a try.

In the 80's, I used to tie feathers for my father and his friends. All seem to work well, but the most popular color was the 1 blue feather with 2 white feathers. Nothing too fancy. Just wrapped the ends to a hook with a thicker line, but I've never thought about adding any type of head to it. I always found that store bought feathers were trimmed short, where I like them to be about 5 inches which is a good size anchovy.

bones
09-01-2010, 11:29 AM
Whoa...Is this an ACTUAL report from DR.........Wow!
Good Job and thanks for the bubble bonito tips.

jerryG
09-02-2010, 12:34 AM
I used to fish the bonito a lot back in the 70's and 80's. I used crocodiles and Rebel Fastracs but the splasher and feather were my favorite. Most including myself fished the feather about 4' to 5' behind the splasher or bubble. We used large casting bubbles and we would make our own splashers out of wooden dowel. We would drill the leading end so it was cupped like a popper. It created a lot of splash which was meant to mimic fish boiling on bait but a feather 5' behind the bubble is all you need.

Jerryg

TFC_arvilJDM
09-02-2010, 06:59 AM
Thanks for the report DR.

Gatta love fishin the Bubbles & Feathers, never gets old.

We usually use 15lb main, and 10lb leader, just incase the big ones decide to play. And we use a pair of feathers on a 8-10 foot leader.

Try going to a Fly Shop and make your own feathers. Cheapest way to go, and you can have different sizes and colors just incase they're picky.

There's a Fly Shop in Fullerton off Orangethorpe & Magnolia, right across the street from the Harley Davidson Bike Shop if you or anyone is interested im making your own Flies.

Hope the Bonies stick around for a little longer.

Tight Lines Yo!

TFC:TheFishingCrew

labjet2000
09-02-2010, 01:54 PM
Great info. I assume you can use this bubble set-up with spinning gear too, correct? I'll have to give it a shot in the future.

smokinflies
09-02-2010, 05:49 PM
Drop the bubble and pick up a fly rod, DR. :Wink:

Thanks for the report DR.

...There's a Fly Shop in Fullerton off Orangethorpe & Magnolia, right across the street from the Harley Davidson Bike Shop if you or anyone is interested im making your own Flies...

Bob Marriotts Fly Fishing Store. Be sure to have your platinum card with you when visiting this store. :Envious:

TFC_arvilJDM
09-02-2010, 06:38 PM
Drop the bubble and pick up a fly rod, DR. :Wink:

Bob Marriotts Fly Fishing Store. Be sure to have your platinum card with you when visiting this store. :Envious:

Hey! I really want to learn howto do some fly fishing! Haha.

TFC_arvilJDM
09-02-2010, 06:41 PM
Great info. I assume you can use this bubble set-up with spinning gear too, correct? I'll have to give it a shot in the future.

You sure can! If you plan on using a long leader, id suggest you use a long 8'5 rod. Im buying one tomorrow since Sport Chalet is having a huge Labor Day sale! 20% off selected rods! 15% reels!

murrieta angler
09-02-2010, 08:42 PM
Five Hundred Dolla!!!!

DockRat
09-03-2010, 06:56 AM
Thanks guys for the replies. Been useing my 24/7 car rod
Old 7' UGLY Stick with a $29 dollar Daiwaa spinning reel.
Why go home and get a better rod when this junk rod cast's a mile and hooks up.

I like light line fishing for the drag burner runs and the look on guys faces when I tell them 4 lb leader and when I had 8 lb leader I had 3 trips there with no hook ups.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb150/JnyBob/fish%20id/atlanticbonito.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fckaP4rJPGA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhP3ULV2Mo0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyGXQHkumHY
DR

DockRat
09-03-2010, 06:56 AM
Five Hundred Dolla!!!!

No Comprende ?
DR

labjet2000
09-03-2010, 10:26 AM
DR, you sound like my kind of guy... Remember, It's a poor workman who blames his tools. It's not the gun, it's the hunter, and it's not the rod, it's the fisherman.