PDA

View Full Version : PIER FISHING set up HELPP!!

abovi001
08-31-2010, 05:22 PM
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c237/abovi001/pier.jpg

what do you think of this rig... it worked for me perfectly the first time but since then i can seem to get it right. I kinda learned from watching pier fishing in north carolina for corbina. There they have one pole rigged with a weight and the other one a self released rig that slides down the line. this works great for getting live bait far out or bigger baits that fly off when casted to hard

smokehound
08-31-2010, 06:42 PM
that rig seems better for live sardines or smelt.

There is one problem with this rig-- once the bait settles on the bottom, it is extremely prone to tangling up with the sinker. You will also run into problems trying to set the hook when you get a bite-- the way you have this set-up, a hook-set wont do anything to a fish.

You're way better off with a high/low rig off the piers.

Get some 3-way swivels for this. You can find Mustad 3-way swivels at walmart.

Other people prefer using dropper loops, removing the need for swivels altogether, and actually has advantages over using swivels. In fact, this set-up is popular amongst people targetting white seabass.

Hope this was helpful.

TFC_arvilJDM
08-31-2010, 07:37 PM
I use this set-up on piers lots of times with 90% on hooking up to a fish using circle hooks. Mainly use Dines or smelt, and would catch anything from Bonita, macks, halis, and sharks.

Lots of ppl look at me weird running down the pier with a fresh bait, then they'll see an extra line slide down and are like "wtf?"

Goodluck!

BIG*GAME*HUNTER
08-31-2010, 07:54 PM
the crazier the rigg the better, i say....try a kite and pvc piping with a brown pixalated flute off a banjo string...i call it the I*E SHAKE and BAKE...SHHHHHAAAAKKKKE & BAKE...booyaaaahhhh...

sorry i watched taledegga nights earlier..lol

elevated
08-31-2010, 08:16 PM
try looking up the hawaiian slide bait rig. They use pretty much the same concept but have a split ring above the sinker dependent on where you want the bait to stop. You can also get weighted sliders. I've wanted to try this for a while on piers or high rocks here.

http://www.angelfire.com/sports/huntfishmaui/Graphics/hookrig.jpg

http://www.angelfire.com/sports/huntfishmaui/stopper.html
This is the split ring I was talking about.

Hope this helps...Let me know how it goes.

Rubble
08-31-2010, 09:43 PM
I used to use that type of setup except I added a small rubber-core or a couple split-shots just above the hook on the slider.Once it hit bottom and sat for awhile,I'd reel up,rebait,and re-cast.Pretty effective on piers,bridges & high jettys.:Fishing Catch:

smokehound
09-01-2010, 12:40 PM
Seems a circle-hook is the best hook for this rig. Seems Like you would have to do a power-hookset if using a larger weight.

I've seen people use this rig before, but only with live smelt or sardines. I see it alot at newport pier.

(not balboa)

Kevman
09-02-2010, 10:15 AM
I used to use this rig a lot back in the day off Redondo pier (the old horseshoe one that burned up in the late 80s IIRC). We called it a trolley rig and it was deadly using live sardines or anchovies for Bonito. We used to use octopus j-hooks and could still set the hook ok. Just take a big swing! Hehe. Sometimes we would put a split shot on the sliding line right below the snap swivel to help it slide down better. The cool thing about this rig is if you put a small split shot your bait will eventually swim down your entire line and you'll cover all depths from the surface to the bottom. I've even caught halibut on this rig.

One time in the 90s my gf came fishing with me and she got cold so we went inside a coffee shop to get a hot drink. Before we went inside, a bum assured us he would "watch our poles." So we said, "OK, cool, thanks!" So we're inside and we suddenly hear shouting and see a crowd forming outside. We look out the window and the bum is trying to crank up a nice bonito! He's already lifting it out of the water. We would use 12-lb. spinning rigs so sometimes when we had a big fish we'd have to hand-line it up. Well the bum gets so excited yanking that he snaps the line and the fish falls 20 feet back into the water and swims away. The crowd lets out a huge cry of disappointment. But the bum just smiles and laughs. I think it made his day.

TFC_arvilJDM
09-02-2010, 10:20 AM
I used to use this rig a lot back in the day off Redondo pier (the old horseshoe one that burned up in the late 80s IIRC). We called it a trolley rig and it was deadly using live sardines or anchovies for Bonito. We used to use octopus j-hooks and could still set the hook ok. Just take a big swing! Hehe. Sometimes we would put a split shot on the sliding line right below the snap swivel to help it slide down better. The cool thing about this rig is if you put a small split shot your bait will eventually swim down your entire line and you'll cover all depths from the surface to the bottom. I've even caught halibut on this rig.

One time in the 90s my gf came fishing with me and she got cold so we went inside a coffee shop to get a hot drink. Before we went inside, a bum assured us he would "watch our poles." So we said, "OK, cool, thanks!" So we're inside and we suddenly hear shouting and see a crowd forming outside. We look out the window and the bum is trying to crank up a nice bonito! He's already lifting it out of the water. We would use 12-lb. spinning rigs so sometimes when we had a big fish we'd have to hand-line it up. Well the bum gets so excited yanking that he snaps the line and the fish falls 20 feet back into the water and swims away. The crowd lets out a huge cry of disappointment. But the bum just smiles and laughs. I think it made his day.

LOL! What a story. Im sure by now he's been addicted to fishing, and prolly has his own fishing show now. Haha, just sayin'.

spangomx
09-02-2010, 10:46 AM
hey abovi001... love the artwork :-)

labjet2000
09-02-2010, 02:08 PM
This seems like a great idea, especially for protecting/saving your live-bait from casting and "impact" damage. I bet a small BSP would slide down that rig just as well as a sardine or "chovey." Thanks for sharing.