PDA

View Full Version : Big Bear or Lake Arrowhead, info please!

dfisher
08-31-2010, 04:26 AM
Sorry can't edit the title so decided to make a new post.

Thinking either Big Bear or Lake Arrowhead, haven't been to either of them.

Any information about Big Bear? Probably going Sept 10th weekend. I am reading that there is both small and largemouth bass? Also will trout still be around?

Can you rent boats here?

Couldn't find anything about Lake Arrowhead, some say you can't fish there?

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

deepbluediver
08-31-2010, 06:02 AM
Lake Arrowhead is a private lake, so closed to non-members. My parents are members but I haven't had a chance to fish it yet.

billy b
08-31-2010, 07:51 AM
in the area. I'm very familiar with BB Marina in the heart of town ... and Holloway's a little bit west of town. Small boats to pontoons available. Also ... there's a marina even farther west towards the dam (Pleasure Point maybe?) ... and also a marina on the other (north) side of the lake ... depending on what's convenient to where you're staying.

There are some local websites with possible tips if you need them ... but I believe they're primarily trout info.

As you're coming into town ... there's a pretty good tackle store that can probably help ... and BB Marina is just down the street.

Nessie Hunter
08-31-2010, 08:52 AM
BBL is coming up on the LMB and Smallies as of late.
They have done a lot of lake upgrades & stocking for the bass fisheries.
Trout are year around there, so always an option...

Arrowhead is an awesome lake to fish, I have even had the pleasure of Tubing it..
Darn shame its closed to the public, Residents and guests only...

Tora
08-31-2010, 11:35 AM
I'm planning to head up to BBL in a couple weeks. Never fished there. Is the shore fishing for trout pretty decent or do you guys recommend getting a boat? I also want to catch some catfish at night. Am I going to have to do some ninja missions or is fishing allowed during the evening hours? Thanks for the help.

seal
08-31-2010, 12:22 PM
I'm planning to head up to BBL in a couple weeks. Never fished there. Is the shore fishing for trout pretty decent or do you guys recommend getting a boat? I also want to catch some catfish at night. Am I going to have to do some ninja missions or is fishing allowed during the evening hours? Thanks for the help.

No Ninja, fish all night long legally.

EL_CHIDO
08-31-2010, 12:27 PM
A boat is better, but there are a few decent spots on shore - the Dam in the morning, North Shore near Fawnskin.

Night fishing is good too if you can take the cold.

dfisher
08-31-2010, 05:32 PM
No Ninja, fish all night long legally.

All night really? If this is true, BBL is looking like the better option!!..

Anyone know how much the rentals are? I seen prices per hourly, they don't rent for the whole day?

We were looking at a cabin type deal, the pictures look like the cabin is right on the lake?

TopwaterBassin
08-31-2010, 08:28 PM
I used to live up there, and yes you can get an all day or half day boat rental, best advice is to call the Marinas (Halloways, Pleasure Point, Big Bear Marina) the prices are pretty competitive. All night fishing, legally, yes, try Stanfield Cutoff for Cat, Boulder Bay and Fawnskin for BASS (watermelon-red flake brush hogs), Boulder Bay, North Shore, the Dam, and Fawnskin for Trout and BASS. If you end up on a boat and want trout, try the wall, the Observatory, and the Dam. There is pretty good shore access as well, just cruise around the lake, but make sure you have a Forrest Adventure Pass if you plan on parking off the Hwy. Good luck.

dfisher
08-31-2010, 10:22 PM
I used to live up there, and yes you can get an all day or half day boat rental, best advice is to call the Marinas (Halloways, Pleasure Point, Big Bear Marina) the prices are pretty competitive. All night fishing, legally, yes, try Stanfield Cutoff for Cat, Boulder Bay and Fawnskin for BASS (watermelon-red flake brush hogs), Boulder Bay, North Shore, the Dam, and Fawnskin for Trout and BASS. If you end up on a boat and want trout, try the wall, the Observatory, and the Dam. There is pretty good shore access as well, just cruise around the lake, but make sure you have a Forrest Adventure Pass if you plan on parking off the Hwy. Good luck.

Great info, thank you sir!!! Will be sure to do everything said here.

Danerz
09-02-2010, 07:41 PM
I think a boat would be a better choice. Heavy, heavy weed growth about 20 feet out on North Shore

trevlavo
09-02-2010, 09:10 PM
we have a family cabin up there and we found a coupon for rentals in the grizzly weekender paper plus theyre running the weed eater trying to clean up the lake.