PDA

View Full Version : Blythe 8-28-10

thisgsx
08-30-2010, 08:54 PM
Left the house at 5am got there at around 7:30am, hit up a few spots hoping to land a few channels, but no luck. We fished a few spots, spending about an hour to an hour and half at each spot using shrimp, but skunked out. At about 11:30am we gave up channel hunting and headed out to a few spots for bait. The bluegills seem to be in deep waters this time of the year so after an hour with no hits on a bobber, we switched to a drop shot rig using nightcrawlers and the action started. In all we landed a total of about 8 or 9 hand sized bluegills and a few small largemouth bass's. Left and headed out to B&B baitshop for some goldfish, we bought a dozen of them and headed out to our spot. When we got to our secret fishing hole, it was still hot as hell out so we decided to drive out to the main river to cool off. We spent about an hour in the water and left to set things up. We didn't get our poles in the water until around 8pm. An hour later I had my first bite of the night. I landed a really nice sized flathead, Im guessing around 35-40lbs??? 3-4 hours go by and I land two more, Im guessing 3-4lber and 8-10lber, and 1 turtle. We ran out of bait so we threw in the towel. We left Blythe at around 2am and got home at around 4:30am. I was pretty disappointed because we ran out of bait. I was pretty certain that I was going to land a monster that night. Oh well maybe next time.

All the fishes caught were on goldfish. All of the gills we caught died so we didn't use them but took all of our catches home except for the turtle of course.

Tackle used:
2 Quantum 9' Catfish combo rod w/ Berkley Big Game 50lb test line w/ 3/0 (i think) gamakatsu hook - carolina rig

Tip:
If any of you are planning to make a trip out there, buy your goldfish's from your local pet shops. The goldfish's we bought from B&B were only the size of large feeders from pet shops. I'm not sure if it's under new management or if they just had a bad shipment, but the lady wanted to charge us more for less goldfish if we wanted the bigger ones. They wanted $12 for a dozen, which you can buy these same sized ones, 6 for $1.00 at your local pet shop.

All the goldfishes we bought from b&b got away because their small size. We kept all of our bait in those cages you leave in the water. Luckily I also brought some nice sized 4-5 inch goldfishes from home so that was all we had for the night. Anyways on to the picture.
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x24/asdfaes/IMG_20100829_045507.jpg

That is the only picture. I didn't get pictures of the other catches because my brother kept them. Enjoy and tight lines.

Any questions feel free to ask.

bluehunter
08-30-2010, 10:09 PM
That is a nice flathead.

Yea I been tuned into the local pet shops that has bigger goldfish at cheaper prices as well. Yes they are under new management the last year or so from the previous owner. I have not been there since June but last time I was there we got a dozen for 10 dollars and they was not on the higher price for bigger goldfish thing. B&B is a popular stop in Blythe but you can get the same size goldfish if not bigger in some places in lots of local cities if you look at the right places for cheaper. Another shop in El Centro sells them way bigger than B&B but they cost more too. However those goldfish are much bigger and fatter too about the size of a medium size Tilapia you would use for bait.

thisgsx
08-31-2010, 03:17 AM
Yes, I am actually thinking about raising my own goldfish's to save on time and money. Thanks to you bluehunter I am now a flathead addict. This was probably one of the hardest hitting flatty I've caught so far. Just when I thought the fighting was over, it kept on going. There were actually a few instances where it caught me off guard and I actually lost my balance. We're actually thinking about making another trip out there this time prepared with enough bait to last us through the night.

bluehunter
08-31-2010, 08:33 AM
Thanks.

Once you catch a flathead catching channels and bullheads and such is just not the same. The only other thing that comes close is a big blue cat and they fight hard too. Flatheads are the best tasting too.

One important thing in using those gills is to have a good aeration system. If you have multiple gills its best to keep them in a cooler which good earation that put out not just bubbles but water. When you are in a hot climate like blythe you also have to monitor the water temps and add ice or even stop and put in fresh water throughout the day from the clear irrigation canals. The more gills you have the more you have to monitor your bait and change the water and such and such. Some people built their own systems or just use a cooler and built on top of that. Buckets just dont work all the time unless you have the insulated ones that are set up and hooked up already which a good aeration pac kage. They sell some of those at various places like at boating stores.

Also another good tip is to not mix your gills with tilapia. Tilapia are nasty criters and dirty up the water fast. I like tro keep my tilapia, goldfish, and bluegill seperate from each other. The bluegill are teh most delicate so you can use smaller systems for the goldfish and bubbling aerators and keep then goldfish alive. The gills requires a lot more than just those though. Hope this helps on your next outting.