PDA

View Full Version : Lower lake 8-28 - Good day with son and friend

FDBCentral
08-30-2010, 07:22 PM
Was out with the son and friend. (Friend) 9.1lb, 8.8lb and 8.2lb. (Son) 8.0lb and 6.10lb (Me) zero.zero.

Don't mind so much because what my son catches, I take pride and feel as if i caught it. :D

Anyways, I haven't caught one at Castaic (upper or lower) so, my son has really got a knack for this Bass fishing. These two would make his running total 12 in the last 7 weekends.

Can i ask, why fishermen are so secretive on what they caught on? (just one of several i've incountered) I asked/complemented a gentleman's catch/bait. And he refused to answer, till my son walked up with his 8.0 to weigh. Then he was asking me what my son was using. Is this a unwritten rule, don't share info unless you prove yourself worthy? (he never did give the info 0.o)

Used yamamoto worm (simple basic worm) white
Trick worm white. 1/16 weight texas rig and drop shot (with texas rig style worm.. weedless)
1st at 10:40am, 2nd at 1:30pm off the shore. Yes odd compared to what times you're supposed to be catching them.

Although, not monsters, for a kid fishing a few months. I'm happy for him :)

We practice catch and release. He can bring one home for mom to cook up. All friends went back, son kept 6.10 prematurely and wasn't able to swap after its been sitting on a stringer for an hour or so.

Thanks,
Leo

BIGBASS MB
08-30-2010, 09:22 PM
Very nice on the LMB

but those dont belong on the stringer

or the kitchen

MB

Btbdodgers
08-30-2010, 10:13 PM
U really shudnt post ur puttin bass on stringers,, ahhh wat a sad day

Fire Ball
08-30-2010, 10:24 PM
Very nice on the LMB

but those dont belong on the stringer

or the kitchen

MB

U really shudnt post ur puttin bass on stringers,, ahhh wat a sad day

I agree with you guys. :Sad:

fishsniffin
08-30-2010, 10:34 PM
Was out with the son and friend. (Friend) 9.1lb, 8.8lb and 8.2lb. (Son) 8.0lb and 6.10lb (Me) zero.zero.

Don't mind so much because what my son catches, I take pride and feel as if i caught it. :D

Anyways, I haven't caught one at Castaic (upper or lower) so, my son has really got a knack for this Bass fishing. These two would make his running total 12 in the last 7 weekends.

Can i ask, why fishermen are so secretive on what they caught on? (just one of several i've incountered) I asked/complemented a gentleman's catch/bait. And he refused to answer, till my son walked up with his 8.0 to weigh. Then he was asking me what my son was using. Is this a unwritten rule, don't share info unless you prove yourself worthy? (he never did give the info 0.o)

Used yamamoto worm (simple basic worm) white
Trick worm white. 1/16 weight texas rig and drop shot (with texas rig style worm.. weedless)
1st at 10:40am, 2nd at 1:30pm off the shore. Yes odd compared to what times you're supposed to be catching them.

Although, not monsters, for a kid fishing a few months. I'm happy for him :)

We practice catch and release. He can bring one home for mom to cook up. All friends went back, son kept 6.10 prematurely and wasn't able to swap after its been sitting on a stringer for an hour or so.

Thanks,
Leo

That is the exact reason why people are so secretive, it gets put on a stringer and on the dinner table. I personally don't have a problem with it, but 9 out of 10 people will. You paid your licsense fee and are entitled to take fish home (legal limit). It's just that alot of people will have a problem with it if it is a largemouth bass. Take a smallmouth or a spotted bass and you're okay with most people but when a largemouth bass is taken, you will be considered doomed by other anglers. Just my .02 cents. P.S., becareful what you post.

Nessie Hunter
08-31-2010, 08:46 AM
Outstanding day!!!! Congrats to your son, that was most excellent !!!

Some people have a real secretive attitude about everything..
My self, I have no problem telling any one what I use or other details.
But spots that I fish I will keep to myself often...
Teaching others how to fish, and giving it all up are 2 different things...

As far as your son keeping a first big bass.. (got to show it off)
No big deal as long as your teaching him the rewards of C&R.

Im one of those C&R Nazis and always biatch about people keeping them..
But there are exceptions also... :-)

FDBCentral
08-31-2010, 04:11 PM
Thank you all for responding, as you notice I took off the pictures as it disturbed my son. He thought he did a terrible thing. If there is certain etiquette, please do share. Nessie, thank you, I feel a little better, we thought it was a happy moment. We've learned, it would be happier with the release of the big ones.

Leo

Ray Lopez
09-04-2010, 05:56 PM
you basically said exactly as to why people wont give out info on bass fishing.

If i was walking the shoreline on the hunt and had someone come up and ask me what i was using and i noticed you had a LMB on a stringer i would not tell you anything and possibly not even really talk to you much.

Now that' not because i'm being rude, it's because i don't give out info to meat fisherman when im on the lake. I don't want to see any bass come out of the lagoon to a dinner table. Now yes it is legal to keep, but it's also legal for me to keep my bait and lures to myself.

Now when i come across people that have no fish and ask me what i am using, the first thing i ask if they plan on keeping any bass for dinner. If they tell me no then i give out info very freely and even good spots to fish. But i will also give my speech on why catch and release is very important to so cal's heavily fished lakes.

But right on for the fish, those are some nice fat bass for sure. Most people fish for years and never catch anything in the 8+ range. I know it took me over 2 years of hardcore fishing to break my 7 pounder and i broke it with a 19.4 lol. But this is the best time of the year to catch the bigger grade bass at the lagoon from shore

stg68
09-05-2010, 09:04 AM
you basically said exactly as to why people wont give out info on bass fishing.

If i was walking the shoreline on the hunt and had someone come up and ask me what i was using and i noticed you had a LMB on a stringer i would not tell you anything and possibly not even really talk to you much.

Now that' not because i'm being rude, it's because i don't give out info to meat fisherman when im on the lake. I don't want to see any bass come out of the lagoon to a dinner table. Now yes it is legal to keep, but it's also legal for me to keep my bait and lures to myself.

Now when i come across people that have no fish and ask me what i am using, the first thing i ask if they plan on keeping any bass for dinner. If they tell me no then i give out info very freely and even good spots to fish. But i will also give my speech on why catch and release is very important to so cal's heavily fished lakes.

But right on for the fish, those are some nice fat bass for sure. Most people fish for years and never catch anything in the 8+ range. I know it took me over 2 years of hardcore fishing to break my 7 pounder and i broke it with a 19.4 lol. But this is the best time of the year to catch the bigger grade bass at the lagoon from shore

Same here,
Sorry, but I have no pespect for bass takers.
I like to same LMB's grown a few more pounds next year or so.

geobass
09-05-2010, 10:27 PM
Wow....... a 19.4 would be in the top twenty list of all time world record bass. Most of which came from Castaic.

Personally I believe it is best to take a picture and let them go. More fish in the lake next time for everyone.

I have noticed that most of the fish I catch over five pounds show marks in their mouths from having been previously caught and released. And I have caught the same fish more than once weeks apart myself.

FDBCentral
09-06-2010, 01:29 PM
Nice post and replies guys. As of this day we practice catch and release. As i stated in my first message, my son has only been out on the lake or freshwater fishing for a good month or so. We had no idea of what LMB or lake etiquette is was til that post. I however am not new to sea fishing, where we bring home almost everything and catch and release others. Live and Learn :D

Its not a matter of not respecting bass takers, more or less educating them. How do they know? We didn't.

Anyways, youtube has been really good to my son and he has landed a few more. I call him my youtube-fishermen. Seems like the best fishing for us is night with senkos and other plastics.

We will be using some swimbaits (trout) during winter. Hope that lands a few.

Thanks for all the sound advice and converting us to C&R guys.

See ya on the lake!
Leo

Ray Lopez
09-09-2010, 10:40 AM
Nice post and replies guys. As of this day we practice catch and release. As i stated in my first message, my son has only been out on the lake or freshwater fishing for a good month or so. We had no idea of what LMB or lake etiquette is was til that post. I however am not new to sea fishing, where we bring home almost everything and catch and release others. Live and Learn :D

Its not a matter of not respecting bass takers, more or less educating them. How do they know? We didn't.

Anyways, youtube has been really good to my son and he has landed a few more. I call him my youtube-fishermen. Seems like the best fishing for us is night with senkos and other plastics.

We will be using some swimbaits (trout) during winter. Hope that lands a few.

Thanks for all the sound advice and converting us to C&R guys.

See ya on the lake!
Leo

Glad to hear it, for bass it's all about the sport. If you wanna catch dinner go for the Upper lake Striped bass They are very tasty and very abundant.

gletemfeelsteelgary
09-21-2010, 02:49 PM
wheres da pics ?