PDA

View Full Version : backing the sierras

Piss on Myspace
08-30-2010, 03:15 PM
howdy fellow anglers, how goes it? hope the fishing gods have been good to you all lately with clean water and hungry fish...

a buddy of mine and i were planning on a backpacking trip in mid sept to the glorious sierras. We are hiking in search of my last goal of the year, the infamous golden trout. This is first and foremost on the list, but the thought of the "SLAM" always seems to make me smile. :Smile: however, looking more into it, the options on where to go have been completely overwhelming. The trip will at least be an overnighter, but would like to go for 2 nights, pending time off from work.

so to the pros, do you have any suggestions where the golden can get checked off the list, maybe along with a brookie and brown. Any help/tips will be sure to help keep my sanity, and of course, be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance

-David

SierraPeaks
08-30-2010, 05:39 PM
No brainer here.
Head over Paiute Pass from North Lake and go to Golden Trout Lake. Every time I've been there, I've caught so many Goldies by 9:00 a.m. I actually take some time off and go back to camp and make breakfast.

It's an easy hike. Day one stop at Paiute Lake and camp. It's a beautiful lake and a good bet to bag some Brookies.
Day 2 you'll arrive at Golden Trout Lake in about 2-3 hours.

When you reach the top of Paiute Pass, look to your left and you will see Golden Trout Lake a short distance away.

For me, personally, it's my favorite place in the entire Sierra backcountry.

SierraPeaks
08-30-2010, 05:59 PM
Here's a photo of Paiute Lake (sorry, I can't find a Golden Trout Lake photo at the moment)

http://i836.photobucket.com/albums/zz290/SierraPeaks/Bryce%20Canyon/PiuteLake-02.jpg

Also...I forgot to mention the first lake you'll come to on your first day is Locklaven Lake.

flytyingreloader
08-30-2010, 10:03 PM
Complete concurrence with Sierra Peaks' recommendation! If you get REAL motivated, continue west into Humphery's Basin, where you'll find 29 lakes and 4 streams that contain goldens. Big Desolation Lake has trophy goldens--slow-retrieve a black body/yellow dot Panther Martin in one of the smaller sizes, and get ready to get bent.

heydaad
08-30-2010, 10:16 PM
Even closer, you can go above the Kern River above Isabella. There's a place called Big Meadow, and a creek called Salmon Creek runs through the North end of it. Salmon Creek is the Southernmost place to catch Goldens. Follow the creek to Horse Meadow campground, maybe 3-5 miles of drainage. They are sly devils, and you will have to approach every pool carefully. A 6" is a trophy in my book, but they love salmon eggs and few of the wet flies.

SierraPeaks
08-31-2010, 08:05 AM
Complete concurrence with Sierra Peaks' recommendation! If you get REAL motivated, continue west into Humphery's Basin, where you'll find 29 lakes and 4 streams that contain goldens. Big Desolation Lake has trophy goldens--slow-retrieve a black body/yellow dot Panther Martin in one of the smaller sizes, and get ready to get bent.

You're absolutely right Reloader. I didn't mention Big Des because that really can't be done in a two day trip. But as far as trophy goldies...yeah....I've caught several at Big Des in the one pound range...and my buddy caught a 1.14 pound goldie...it was beautiful.

teejay
08-31-2010, 11:23 AM
All good suggestions. One more option may be the South Lake trailhead out of Bishop. The trail climbs up the canyon and then splits after around a mile. One branch goes right another 1.5 miles or so to Treasure Lakes where you could get the goldens. After your done at Treasure, you could backtrack down to the trail split and go up the other branch (Bishop Pass trail) another 1.5 miles or so to Long Lake which has plenty of brook trout and a fair number of rainbows along with a scattering of browns.
Also dont confuse these lake recommendations with the Treasure and Long Lakes of the Rock Creek area.
Keep an eye on the weather reports for the area before you go.

Sierra_Smitty
09-01-2010, 11:15 AM
A 2 night trip to Humphreys is like Golden Trout heaven. Lots of lakes to choose from, several have bigguns. A slam is pretty much impossible though unless you get your brown and rainbow in the stream above North Lake and then finish off with a brookie and golden from the basin.

The Cottonwood Lakes area is another area loaded with Goldens - not much in the way of slam possibilities though.

Rock Creek's Little Lakes Valley is a super easy hike and its possible to be done there.

Check your topo maps and cross reference this link for fish species distribution - it's pretty accurate for the most part.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fishingpassport/guide.asp

Piss on Myspace
09-05-2010, 04:41 PM
Sadly to say, with a recent death in the family, i was considering postponing the trip. But after researching the info you boys provided, it dawned on me that we should enjoy and celebrate life, not fear and morn it....It cant rain all the time!!! So with this being said, i have put my time in from work from Sept 24-26th.

Thanks to all for the great info and advice....greatly appreciated. I haven't yet exactly narrowed down to where, but rather the fact that i need this trip. Once certain that i got the time off, i will decide...i just don't want to get my hopes up, u know?

So again, nothing much to report, rather just wanted to say thanks to you; SP, FTR, HD, TJ, & Smitty (btw great book, received a few weeks ago) for your input. Once certain, than i will bombard you guys with questions. :Big Grin:

Cheers,
David

Natural Lefty
09-05-2010, 08:44 PM
One additional suggestion is that you could backpack southward from South Lake past Long Lake, and over Bishop Pass to Dusy Basin. There are lots of Goldens there, some good sized, and it's not all that long of a hike for a 3 day trip. The fishing was really good in Long Lake when I was there before too.

Piss on Myspace
09-21-2010, 04:13 PM
Ok boys the time is nearing and I cant f’n wait!!! We’ll be heading out this Friday-Sun in search of the Goldies. Took the guidance and decided on the GTL.’s in the Humphries Basin.
We’re planning on fishing at least the following lakes: Lock Leven, Piute, Summit, and a few of the other unmanned lakes. We’ll mostly be using spinners and a fly/bubble combo. Do you guys have any other suggestions? Ill be heading to Bass Pro tomorrow for needed supplies.
To the peeps who have been there, how possible is it to make it to the GTL’s in 1 day of hiking? Id rather do it the 1st day as oppose to the last, then having to drive 5 hours to get back home.

Thanks,
-dave

SierraPeaks
09-22-2010, 09:03 AM
You definitely can make GTL in one day Dave...if you don't stop to fish Lochlaven, Paiute, or Summit. You can always hit those lakes on your way out and wet a line.

Good luck.

You made the right call. You won't be disappointed. I hope the weather cooperates with you...but be prepared for anything up there. I've been snowed on in August in Humphries Basin.

Piss on Myspace
09-22-2010, 09:20 AM
Thanks Peaks, ur just the man i wanted to talk to!!!! I'm excited that i can make the hike in 1 day, now i just have to have the self control to walk by and not cast out. Don't remember if i mentioned it before, but this is my 1st trip to the Humphreys basin. Is there any restrictions / regulations that i should know about before fishing the area (specifically GTL's). Does Summit even have fish in it? Any tips on intake 2? Thanks agen Peaks, ur the f'n man!

*cant begin to tell you how much easier you made planing this trip out....cheers to you Peaks!*

SierraPeaks
09-22-2010, 03:52 PM
Well thanks Spaceman...glad to share my knowledge. I'm not really sure what you mean by regulations or restrictons. If you mean only artificial or barbless...no...no restrictions at all. Use whatever you want. And if you mean keeper size for goldens...no regulation there either. The average size goldie at GTL is around 8 to 10 inches.

Just make sure you get your wilderness permit and you're good to go brother.

SierraPeaks
09-22-2010, 03:58 PM
By the way..if you take off from North Lake around 6 a.m. you should make Golden Trout Lake by 4 or 5 p.m. Again...if you don't stop at the lower lakes on the east side of the pass. (you will be tempted though...because they are BEAUTIFUL lakes)

As far as Summit Lake...to be honest...I've never stopped and fished it. I've always been in too big of a hurry to get to my destination. And I don't know of anyone who has. So I'd have to say skip it. Because if anyone would have ever had success there...I would have heard about it.

FSHNLIC
09-23-2010, 08:38 AM
Dave... since I haven't touched base with you in a few, good luck man!!! I'm jealous... Don't get lost and go do some serious slayage.... I'll see ya around... you're gonna have to come back to work at some point.... By the way, for yourself and all you hikers out there.... ATT/TSTR have launched a new satellite phone called the Genus, currently its only being sold to the government and emergency type services, however, it should be available to the general public by years end

Piss on Myspace
09-23-2010, 03:40 PM
Yeah Peaks i was talking bout the barbless or artificial aspects. Thanks again for the intel, ill catch a few for ya...didnt quite realize the hike would take that long, so well play it by ear whether or not well bang it out in a day. and well proly take your advice and skip summit....thanks

FSHLIC-don't be jealous, hopefully we'll be up there next month slaying some feesh...and mang, how you gonna mention work when we're talking about fishing?...lol...u know the rules....no talk bout work and don't mention the "W". and thanks for the sat info, seems like good s**t.

Hopefully good pics and report coming....cheers boys

gone to chase some tail-
David