PDA

View Full Version : Bent Skeg

Shock
08-30-2010, 11:15 AM
So I made a rookie move a couple of weeks ago. I was backing the boat into my driveway and didnt have the motor tilted up enough...

Bent the skeg, its not too bad but do notice when going at faster speeds it really wants to veer to the right...

Anyone have any tips on bending it back without screwing it up?

cutbait
08-30-2010, 12:35 PM
Easy fix. .you can get a replacement. Simply cut off ur old one and drill holes through what is left and the replacement slips over and bolts up. Half hour job and cheap. Just search skeg replacement

Shock
08-30-2010, 12:43 PM
Thanks...I'll have to check that out...

Sparky70
08-30-2010, 01:37 PM
Cutbait is right, that's the only way to fix that problem.....

trevlavo
08-30-2010, 02:52 PM
i was gonna say back into your driveway for the other direction...lol...thatll only take 5 minutes.

DockRat
08-30-2010, 06:41 PM
Cutbait is right, that's the only way to fix that problem.....

I disagree.

Hammer and dolly, maybe some heat. Could break, not very easy with aluminum.
File, sandpaper then paint.
DR

DockRat
08-30-2010, 06:47 PM
outboardmotor.biz has message boards.

Here is a sample post.

The skeg on my 1986 125 HP Force is bent. It's enough to cause my boat to list to the side at high speed. Can I straighten it myself or do I need to buy a new lower gearcase housing? I'm a bit afraid to try heating it up with a torch since the lower gearcase is full of oil. Where can I buy a lower gearcase housing if I need one?

ob cocolindo,Depending on how much from center that your skeg is bent you may be surprised at how forgiving the aluminum is at bending back into place.If the bend is severe as it appears from your description ,some mild heat near the highest point of the bend will help the process.Worst case scenario ,if it breaks off below the bearing carrier and doesn't rupture the gearcase,it can be refitted with a piece and rewelded and shaped.Good luck.

http://www.outboardmotor.biz/skeg/

Here is anouther site.

http://www.outboardrepairs.com/topics/001773.html

I broke off and lost my skeg on my Force 70 O/B. Of course the Manf. says I have to buy a lower unit to fix it at the toon of $1200. I have seen the new replacement Skegs mad of Stainless Steel but I am not sure it will work because my old skeg was busted pretty close to the case. Does anyone have advice as to how I can get this repaired without practically buying a new motor? Thanks! 2001-06-14

pgattuso I was able to heliarc mine back on, tongston element. I ground off some of the alu housing to allow to form a v for the alu rod to fill into. Find a good welding shop familiar with cast aluminum. If it looks suspect after the repair bolt on a skeggard avail at most online marine stores 2001-06-14

J.B. Cornwell Yo, Irishtex. A Skegguard only needs about 1" of skeg to bolt to. $100 and about half an hour.
Good luck.
JB
2001-06-14

Bob_VT I purchased an older (1978) Johnson and it also had a broken skeg. I looked at the Skeg gaurd and looked at the price. I took a piece of cardboard and make a cardboard model of the skeg. Went to a local sheet metal manufacturer and had a skeg made from a sheet of 14 guage (almost 1/8" thick) stainless steel. It is bent in half with the closed end facing the front of the motor. A trip to the hardware store and attached it with stainless steel bolts. The toughest part of the job was drilling the stainless steel - I used a cobalt bit. My total cost $22.00 including the bolts. Good luck. 2001-06-14

mbb A replacement aluminum skeg is $15-20. The welding is easy takes 5 min., work is in the grinding to prepare to weld. Me, I used my mig welder to repair mine (made about 3-4" of missing skeg) when I bought old merc 90. took about 30 passes and a lot of grinding, and a little touch of bondo, but looks perfect. Also had to re-make lower unit where prop fits in, had broken out a large chunk allowing exhaust gas to make prop cavitate by 200 rpm. 2001-06-14

J.B. Cornwell Hi, Bob. Very creative. I'll bet you would be a great wrench, if you aren't one already.
Smooth waters.
JB
2001-06-14

kevlar3000 oh ya, well I made one out of a piece of twine and some chewing gum. 2001-06-14

walkingfish Hi Irishtex,
Ive had a similar problem, in that my skeg broke off REAL close to the housing, (there was no skeg left!).
I was told to remove the gearbox from the housing to make sure that heat would not effect the seals inside or boil the oil.
I had this done for me and a new skeg cut out and welded on, then the gearbox reinstalled, and i couldn't be happier with the result, unless of course the skeg hadnt broken at all.

My local enginering firm charged bugger all to make and attach the skeg (aluminium) it would work out to about 30 american.

W'fish

DR

cutbait
08-30-2010, 07:23 PM
The last thing I would do would put heat anywhere near the skeg. Bearings, seals, oil and tight tolerances in the lower unit are nothing to mess around with.

http://www.keelshield.com/skegshield.html

cutbait
08-30-2010, 07:24 PM
Or hammer on a lower unit

Rooster
08-30-2010, 09:11 PM
I have used skeggard and had great results. GL Bro

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ORIGINAL-SKEGGARD-SKEG-PROTECTOR-LOWER-UNIT-GUARD-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem35aa81bd43QQitemZ23049 3896003QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

Sparky70
08-30-2010, 10:49 PM
:Dead Horse::Dead Horse::Dead Horse:I finally got rid of my SKAG, SHE HAULED BUNS FOR Greener Pastures.....

DockRat
08-31-2010, 07:09 AM
BTY What year, size, make is the motor ?

The last thing I would do would put heat anywhere near the skeg. Bearings, seals, oil and tight tolerances in the lower unit are nothing to mess around with.

Or hammer on a lower unit

Bah Humbug. A little heat and light tapping.

Had a 30 hp Yamaha on a 13' Whaler sat in the water 6 years in San Pedro. Major Corrosion.
Snapped off 2 bolts trying to get the lowed unit off. Had to beat on it like a Mutha.
Used a piece of 2' x 4' to hammer on not hitting the aluminum directly.

Finally got it off then had to heat the busted bolt area to get those out.

Changed the impellor, filed, grinded, sanded, painted. Done deal.

Saw my old Whaler at King Harbor last week, same motor, still running.

Not too much heat like this chick.:LOL:

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s69/Grifter2105/pinupgirlclothing_2001_198335149.jpg

Sparky70
09-01-2010, 09:49 AM
I had a SKAG one time and finally got rid of her. :EyePop: :EyePop: :EyePop:

Shock
09-07-2010, 03:44 PM
BTY What year, size, make is the motor ?

Bah Humbug. A little heat and light tapping.

Had a 30 hp Yamaha on a 13' Whaler sat in the water 6 years in San Pedro. Major Corrosion.
Snapped off 2 bolts trying to get the lowed unit off. Had to beat on it like a Mutha.
Used a piece of 2' x 4' to hammer on not hitting the aluminum directly.

Finally got it off then had to heat the busted bolt area to get those out.

Changed the impellor, filed, grinded, sanded, painted. Done deal.

Saw my old Whaler at King Harbor last week, same motor, still running.

Not too much heat like this chick.:LOL:

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s69/Grifter2105/pinupgirlclothing_2001_198335149.jpg

Sorry havent been on if a few....My motor is a 1996 Mercury 2-stroke 40hp....Havent had a chance to mess with it yet, since I mainly troll I wanna see how much it pulls if any at troll speed...If its not too bad I may just leave it alone. I dont want to break it off....That skeggard looks like it may do the trick but I'll try to bend it back first...Its not bent too much, just off slightly...

Thanks all for the advise..