PDA

View Full Version : What kind of light do you need...

pescado abajo
07-24-2007, 12:20 AM
if you happen to on the water at night?
will one of those small "spotlight" lights you connect to your hat bill suffice?

vanillagurilla
07-24-2007, 12:23 AM
yeah but i would suggest geting a bit better one at wal mart or big 5. something with an optional red light. the red light will keep the bugs off your face while fishing.

Nessie Hunter
07-24-2007, 07:59 AM
if you happen to on the water at night?
will one of those small "spotlight" lights you connect to your hat bill suffice?

I think ALL WATER CRAFT 'MUST' have navigation lights at night or low visibility??

Bruce Watson could probably give you the legal scoop on this.. 8)

As a night Tuber I have used the headlamp, and been ignored by Harbor Patrol/CG/Sheriff etc at NPH several times. Some also use the glow tubes & headlamps...

Float Tubes dont have a lot of options on lighting. We are also fairly stationary and/or close to structure (out of the way).

My headlamp has the red & white lights, I turn it on anytime a boat approaches and also get as far out of their way as possible.

If Im tight to docks/rocks etc, I dont even bother to turn it on..... If Im in open area, I turn it on and make sure and point it at moving boats, until they pass (as I scramble to get out of the way).

I suppose one could attach the battery operated Nav lights (red/Green) to the nose of Tube and the White headlamp would complete the set??????? But ????

Red/grn front light is for 'moving' boats, I think (not positive) the white is required for stationary/anchored boats or as stern light when moving....

Like I said Bruce is the Guru on Navigation & watercraft etc... Maybe he will add his 2 cents.... BRUCE?????

Mase
07-24-2007, 09:46 AM
I bought a couple LED clip-on tent lights.

http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/31TWAR4EF3L._AA280_.jpg

They're amber to keep the bugs off. I have two clipped to the back and one clipped to the left and another on the right. They've lasted me 2 nights so far and my tube looks like a UFO on the water.

I also have a red/white LED headlamp as well.

BakoBassin
07-24-2007, 09:51 AM
I suppose one could attach the battery operated Nav lights (red/Green) to the nose of Tube and the White headlamp would complete the set??????? But ????

This is what I do on my kickboat. I mount that battery operated navigation light to the trolling motor mount. I only use the headlamp when necessary. Although the lake patrol at most lakes prefer you keep it on. They go home at night though 8)

RotoSteve
07-25-2007, 08:03 AM
Which lakes actually let you tube at night?