PDA

View Full Version : Crystal Lake above George lake question...

emtbsandiego
08-29-2010, 04:52 PM
Headed up to Mammoth Tuesday for a few days. Never fished Crystal lake above George and want to give it a shot. Any hints, tips, tricks I should know? I have some small panther martins and kastmasters to give a go. Thanks a ton!

SierraPeaks
08-29-2010, 08:40 PM
It's a tough little 2 mile hike. You ascend about 1,200 feet if I remember correctly in a very short distance.
Pack light and throw whatever you have at them till you find what's working.

Have a great time.

emtbsandiego
08-29-2010, 09:00 PM
Yeah, I've hiked up there early in the season in the snow only to find it covered in ice. I guess there has got to be an inlet somewhere on the lake, just didn't see it last time. Probably where the fish are congregating.

teejay
08-29-2010, 09:48 PM
It is one of the more difficult lakes in the area to circle around. I recall scrambling around a lot of boulders. As you arrive at the outlet of Crystal, the easiest areas of the lake to access will be on your left. The area of the lake to your right is a tougher going but has some nice drop offs to the deep water. Try casting your spinner parallel to the shore as well as out into the deeper water.

SierraPeaks
08-30-2010, 07:39 AM
It's been quite a while since I've been there...but I seem to remember a bubble and fly working for us at Crystal.

Sierra_Smitty
08-30-2010, 09:07 AM
It takes a little effort to get there but if you cross the outlet (where the trail first hits the lake) and hike along the far side of the lake you'll eventually get back to the inlet area. There is a sandy shelf on the inlet side of the lake and the fish are usually stacked up right off that shelf. Orange jigs or P/W crush it there. Mepps & Panthers are good too. Gorgeous lake. Steep but short hike.