PDA

View Full Version : Crabin at Crystal Pier 8/29 Need some help

Hoshnasi
08-28-2010, 01:57 AM
First and foremost I love crab and I love the search function here on the boards. I tried looking for these questions and did not find that I need. Apologies in advance.

With that said I'm a fly fisherman and am heading WAY out of my area tomorrow to crystal pier for some crabin with a hoop net.

First question I have a license do I need to carry it. Wife said "Its a private pier we're fine!" I'm a legal beaver and since I paid for my license I'm gonna carry it no mater what but she told friends that they don't need it. Is that true?

Second, even if it is private what are my limits on pulling up crab.... If I am lucky. Just tell me straight, I respect the habitat and believe on keeping things in balance. If I can take some crab we'll all be happy, if not I (and I'll make the others understand) we'll be OK too! I have a bait dipper and I'll still be hunting for fish, but nothing is like fresh crab!

Heading out tomorrow, so info I get till then will be appreciated!

Thank you!!!

DockRat
08-28-2010, 05:28 AM
Wifey has it backwards. On a Public Pier you don't need a license. 2 nets max per person on a pier. Read below, you need a crab gauge too. 35 max ?
Private Pier, Private Boat, you have rules.

FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)

Q. If I'm fishing for crab from a public pier and I'm NOT fishing for spiny lobster, do I still need the lobster report card?

A. If you're not fishing for spiny lobster, you do not need to purchase a spiny lobster report card. By the same token, if you catch spiny lobster while fishing for rock crab, you cannot keep spiny lobster if you do not have a spiny lobster report card in your possession.

Q. Am I required to have a lobster gauge when I go fishing for lobster? Can I use a tape measure or a ruler?

A. Every person while taking lobster (or other invertebrates which have a minimum size limit) shall carry a device which is capable of accurately measuring the size of the lobster. Due to the curvature of the lobster's carapace and the measurement method described above, a tape measure or ruler is not capable of measuring the size of the lobster accurately; a gauge with a fixed span works best. Reference Section 29.05(c) T14, CCR.

Q. How many hoop nets can I use while fishing from a public pier?

A. You may use up to two appliances (rod and reel, hoop net, etc.) while fishing from a public pier - two rods and reels, or 1 rod and reel and 1 hoop net, or 2 hoop nets. Reference Section 28.65(b) T14, CCR.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/dungeness_crab.asp#rock

Good Luck Catching Crabs :Shocked:

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd268/KEIKAKUDORI/lice.jpg DR

Hoshnasi
08-28-2010, 11:29 AM
Wifey has it backwards. On a Public Pier you don't need a license. 2 nets max per person on a pier. Read below, you need a crab gauge too. 35 max ?
Private Pier, Private Boat, you have rules.

FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)

Q. If I'm fishing for crab from a public pier and I'm NOT fishing for spiny lobster, do I still need the lobster report card?

A. If you're not fishing for spiny lobster, you do not need to purchase a spiny lobster report card. By the same token, if you catch spiny lobster while fishing for rock crab, you cannot keep spiny lobster if you do not have a spiny lobster report card in your possession.

Q. Am I required to have a lobster gauge when I go fishing for lobster? Can I use a tape measure or a ruler?

A. Every person while taking lobster (or other invertebrates which have a minimum size limit) shall carry a device which is capable of accurately measuring the size of the lobster. Due to the curvature of the lobster's carapace and the measurement method described above, a tape measure or ruler is not capable of measuring the size of the lobster accurately; a gauge with a fixed span works best. Reference Section 29.05(c) T14, CCR.

Q. How many hoop nets can I use while fishing from a public pier?

A. You may use up to two appliances (rod and reel, hoop net, etc.) while fishing from a public pier - two rods and reels, or 1 rod and reel and 1 hoop net, or 2 hoop nets. Reference Section 28.65(b) T14, CCR.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/dungeness_crab.asp#rock

Good Luck Catching Crabs :Shocked:

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd268/KEIKAKUDORI/lice.jpg DR

Thank you for the help! So it looks like the friends will be OK without a permit.

As the gauge, since I can't use a tape measure what should I do if I am trying for dungeonous crab? Might have to make a sports authority run.

mullet
08-28-2010, 05:15 PM
You won't catch any dungness down there.Everyone will need fishing licsenses
as it is not a public pier.You do need a crab gauge,try a local dive shop.

Mike

DockRat
08-29-2010, 05:21 AM
Thank you for the help! So it looks like the friends will be OK without a permit.

Only if they don't fish or pull a net. like Mullet said.
DR

smokehound
09-01-2010, 03:00 PM
You dont need a crab gauge... any ruler is just fine.

For pacific rock crabs, the legal size is four inches across the widest part of the carapace.

One important thing-- these MUST be kept alive. If they die, the meat becomes bitter.

Dont place them in a bucket of sea-water. they will poison themselves with their waste.

Soak a towel with sea-water (dont ring it out) and cover the crabs with it. this will keep them alive.

DockRat
09-03-2010, 05:57 AM
You dont need a crab gauge... any ruler is just fine.

?

(or other invertebrates which have a minimum size limit) shall carry a device which is capable of accurately measuring

What about this from DFG website :???:

DR

smokehound
09-09-2010, 03:11 PM
?

(or other invertebrates which have a minimum size limit) shall carry a device which is capable of accurately measuring

What about this from DFG website :???:

DRWell that's true for spiny lobster, however, a rock-crab's back is flat, and a tape-measurer is just fine.

DockRat
09-10-2010, 06:39 AM
Every person while taking lobster

(or other invertebrates which have a minimum size limit) shall carry a device which is capable of accurately measuring the size of the lobster.

I think Crab falls into the highlighted area ?
DR

skylarjames2009
09-10-2010, 09:02 AM
I didnt know you can crab down at crystal pier Im here in San Diego im going to try tonight whats the best bait I use Chicken for lobster will it work for Crabs as well (Kentucky Fried Chicken)

smokehound
09-10-2010, 02:29 PM
Every person while taking lobster

(or other invertebrates which have a minimum size limit) shall carry a device which is capable of accurately measuring the size of the lobster.

I think Crab falls into the highlighted area ?
DRTape measurer accurately measures rock crab.

mullet
09-12-2010, 06:13 PM
Tape measurer accurately measures rock crab.

Good luck explaining that to Mr.DFG.
Iv'e been hooping for about 20 years,
ain't caught no flatbacked crab yet.

Mike

smokehound
09-14-2010, 07:28 PM
Good luck explaining that to Mr.DFG.
Iv'e been hooping for about 20 years,
ain't caught no flatbacked crab yet.

MikeLol. Good joke. You're funny. :LOL:

mullet
09-20-2010, 07:39 PM
First off bad on Hosh to ask for regs online instead of looking them up for himself.
Bad on you for giving the wrong info & stickin to it.
Hope he was bright enough not to run with it.
Sorry no humor involved,
you must have confused me with someone else.

Mike

smokehound
09-21-2010, 02:11 AM
First off bad on Hosh to ask for regs online instead of looking them up for himself.
Bad on you for giving the wrong info & stickin to it.
Hope he was bright enough not to run with it.
Sorry no humor involved,
you must have confused me with someone else.

Mikehttp://blog.danceruniverse.com/images/user/261/measuring_tape_lg.jpg

Their backs are not convex enough to interfere with measuring tape.

However, i understand why you guys got miffed-- I said tape measurer instead of measuring tape.

that's my fault. Sorry.