PDA

View Full Version : Recon Tonight Upper 8/27

SDDave
08-27-2010, 10:17 PM
Went up to the upper this afternoon to see what happing up there, what I'm checking into is the shad and to see if theres any rip bait bite, what found was... there's shad and there biting the rip bait.
I found a large school of silver side shad, these are useless to me for bait, there the skinny ones, but bass and striper's love them, and that what some of my stick baits are mimicking.
Next I went into old SS and found the right kind, very small to medium thread fin, made a scoop, about 20 pieces and went out to the entrance to old SS, by this time alot of the lake lice had gone home, I was tossing a LC I think the staysee 90, the one with 3 hooks, why it needs 3 treble on a 4.5 bait I 'll never know, I just know that the middle one got stuck in my thumb real good when I was trying to shake a striper off, it was getting very painful but I was lucky to get it out and the striper off before it got past the barb, ouch, I had a god bite going on these fish, they were in the 2 to 3 pound range, love the rip bite, I got 12 fish in a short time, and other 3 on the shad, all striper's, got a rat large mouth off of C-point first thing when I first got there.
when I was messing with the silver sides there was a couple of nicer grade largies that had broken some bait off the main school and were chasing them down,cool to see.
Brought these home to eat, and this was the LC I was using, It's About time these fish moved up, pretty soon, wide open Boils and shad jumping in my nets...
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr349/sddave50/d96f007b.jpghttp://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr349/sddave50/a980a773.jpghttp://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr349/sddave50/46b6ede8.jpg

kpn
08-28-2010, 03:32 PM
Good job out there Dave. You did find them :Wink:.

KPN.

Ambassadorhawg
08-28-2010, 07:54 PM
I was there with my buddy for an afternoon run. We were in the white Boston Waler with a Yamaha out back. He just had his carbs rebuilt so we were upthere cruising around to see how it was running before taking it out to sea. It's buttery smooth.

We fished the back half of the Fish Arm and didn't connect until we got to the main Eucalyptus tree point outside the quarry. We did se lots of small-medium shad in the back of Elizabeth and massive amount in the launch ramp area, too.

We had just 4 fish between us, all on small jerks. Three LMB's and 1 Stripey, all were 12" long except for one 2 pound LMB.

SDDave
08-28-2010, 08:14 PM
Thanks Khan, The lake Is a ticking time bomb, went back today and was able to get all the dynamite I needed, the fish just need to key in on the bait a little bit more and Bammm.... the place is going to go off...

Good job out there Dave. You did find them :Wink:.

KPN.

SDDave
08-28-2010, 08:22 PM
I think I saw you guys, I was mostly by old SS, sounds like you guys went thou some fuel issues on the Yamaha, besides the carbs, did you replace the fuel line and bulb coming from the fuel tank, ethanol is wreaking havoc on fuel systems, I know it had me down last year, the fuel line with the pump bulb inner hose liner got ate up by the ethanol and went thou my whole fuel system, big buck for a older Mercury fuel parts...
You sound like you guy like to play with the sport coat crowd...

I was there with my buddy for an afternoon run. We were in the white Boston Waler with a Yamaha out back. He just had his carbs rebuilt so we were upthere cruising around to see how it was running before taking it out to sea. It's buttery smooth.

We fished the back half of the Fish Arm and didn't connect until we got to the main Eucalyptus tree point outside the quarry. We did se lots of small-medium shad in the back of Elizabeth and massive amount in the launch ramp area, too.

We had just 4 fish between us, all on small jerks. Three LMB's and 1 Stripey, all were 12" long except for one 2 pound LMB.

Ambassadorhawg
08-28-2010, 08:32 PM
All 3 carbs were badly varnished from lack of use. Darn ethanol!!! The fuel system was totally dismantled, cleaned and reinstalled. My buddy put a fuel shut off in line and from now on, we're gonna cut off the fuel at the ramp and let the motor burn the fuel out...haaa! Just like the old days!