PDA

View Full Version : Mammoth/Lake Mary

rocknreel20
08-26-2010, 08:17 AM
Fished the 19th thru the 23rd - Lake mary
Fishing was great ! Caught plenty of stockers and some beautiful fish I am assuming were natives.
Some guy posted that the mosquitoes were everywhere, no skeeters anywhere we went !!
I caught fish anytime of day, late afternoon was good though - Key was just a plain ole inflated crawler.
I like to soak bait, sit and take in the scenery, so I don't throw iron, but some of the locals were catching on red/gold Thomas buoyants working the shoreline.
My rig is 4lb main line, 2lb flouro leader and a size 10 hook - remember to float the worm.

Fresh One !!!
08-26-2010, 08:52 AM
Hey rocknreel, how was the weather when you were there? I am going friday for 10 days !!! Getting alot of conflicting reports for weather..everything from possible snow saturday to clear days ?? Also, were you fishing from a boat or shore and where or what emd of the lake??

ToonaTangler
08-26-2010, 09:17 AM
Fresh One I will be going out there on Wed. for 5 days, lets hook up and do some fishing together. I will show you all my secret spots up there no problem. I am going for ALPERS so Im not sure if you have ever got one up there but I always get big ones when I go so maybe we will luck out and both get some this year! Good luck and give me a call after wedensday so we go kill some fish!

JusStartnOut
08-26-2010, 02:36 PM
Cool report. i cant wait to get up there. Ill be up there this Friday thru Monday for some camping. we are either staying at lake Mary or the twin lakes.

IK13
08-26-2010, 02:47 PM
I was in Mammoth last week. The weather was fine, except for few very windy hours (especially on Lake George).
You can find old snow if you want to - just take the Gondola to the summit :)

Fished Mary and George a couple of days. The first day (I think it was on a Wednesday) was pretty much dead, except for a nice 3.5lb out of Mary and a really skinny one (both on baby nightcrawlers). Friday on the other hand was wide open (I guess they planted same day or the day before) on worms and PB. From the shore.

Got also a kayak and another boot and was really tempted to cast straight into one of the pontoon boats that anchored almost on my forehead when they saw us pulling fish out of the water...

rocknreel20
08-27-2010, 08:34 AM
Weather couldn't get any better last week mid 70's during the day. A bit of wind, but there is always an area where you can find a lee. I fished the shore all over the lake and had no problems catching fish. I use the regular size crawlers but cut them in half. I like to fish the side of the lake opposite the rental cabins. Remember to float the worm and use a light leader(2lb), you would be surprised how many folks came up to us and thought it was the bait, but they were using heavy line. Didn't need to cast too far from shore but as the sun gets higher it is sometimes required.