PDA

View Full Version : Puting shifter back together.

dogomudda
08-26-2010, 06:26 AM
A friend and I are fixing my boat from stem to stern. My problem? Well..he took the shifter apart, we cleaned all parts, got new bushings and now we are stuck with a box of parts, the casing and a bunch of stupid and dirty looks because neither of us can remember how to put it back together. I have looked for a diagram online but, nothing really looks like the same parts I have. UGH! Any suggestions?
I guess I should let you all know the boat is a '76 Ranger, 85 hp 2 stroke. The shifter is a Mercontrol which I believe may be stock.

dixoncider
08-26-2010, 06:51 AM
They have shop manuals a west marine for Merc's..It MAYBE in there.
Here is the link-Call west marine and see if they had the manual and then maybe you can just go down and see if its in there before you buy.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=442956&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=10106&subdeptNum=10407&classNum=10413

dogomudda
08-27-2010, 04:08 AM
Ty so much for the info. I will go over it with my friend. We both are pretty good with this stuff but, this one has us stumped as far as how to put it back together. It has been sitting here for almost a month because we had to have someone fabricate a couple of bushing because they can't be found anywhere.