PDA

View Full Version : Hair Rig/bioilie success with trout?

etaggart
08-25-2010, 06:12 AM
Hi All,

So I've been looking around for info on carp fishing - mainly because BBL is crammed-full of carp and if I've got a second rod hanging-out while I'm fly fishing on my tube, why not try to catch me a big gold-fish. I'd prefer to catch on a fly, but I rarely find carp tailing (feeding on the bottom) - they're generally just cruising.

Anyway, I came across the hair-rig: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hair-rig.jpg and it looks kind of whacky, but seems to be the bomb for carp. I guess it makes some sense when you consider how a carp first mouths their food before sucking it in. And, I'd never heard of boilies, but in looking back, I've seen many carp fishermen in BBL using huge ones.

Two questions:

Does anyone know whether carp will take a hair rig with a boilie while it's in motion (slow troll under a bobber from a tuber)?

Does anyone know whether trout will take a boilie (or powerbait) on a hair-rig?

Cheers!

ET

smokehound
08-25-2010, 09:45 AM
large old carp are VERY smart, and will generally lose interest in baits being trolled or reeled in.

Bait&Wait is the best route for carp.. Or sight-fishing. Flyline your bait.. They have good eyesight and are among the most intelligent fish on earth.

Never seen anyone use a hair-rig for trout.. Never needed to go through that trouble, myself.

I just mold the PowerBait on a normal small octopus hook-- C-rig with tiny egg sinker..

I'll mold the PB into a tear-drop shape..

I see people using two-pound test, and I dont understand why, since I have no trouble on 6-lb..

Cartman
08-25-2010, 10:46 AM
I don't see any reason to try the hair rig for trout. The the hair rig works is that fish which suck in their food like carp and catfish get hooked when they spit out the bait. Trout strike.

I have fished a lot with hair rigs rigged different ways using boilies, home made and store bought, trying to catch carp at Puddingstone and Santa Fe. I have caught five catfish and zero carp on hair rigged boilies. I even caught a cat using a tiger nut. I wonder about the whole thing. I keep giving the hair rig/inline bolt/helicopter bolt occasionally, but it seems around here the best way to catch carp is to flyline canned sweet corn on a small hook. All that british carp fishing gear definitely seems logical, and it's all so cool to work with, but it has not worked for me catching carp.

If anyone out there has any advice or reports of success I would love to hear about it.

etaggart
08-25-2010, 06:57 PM
Thanks, guys - great info - much appreciated. I certainly don't want to bother with complicated rigs - mainly curious.

Cheers!!

ET