PDA

View Full Version : 8/25/10 twilight trip

catfish 17
08-24-2010, 09:13 PM
going on a twilight trip tomorrow out of newport landing. This will be my first twilight trip. Any tips or any advice?:Big Grin:

Thanks.

Ifishtoolittle
08-24-2010, 09:27 PM
-12lb test set-up. Say any baitcaster with like 8lbs of drag, solid 6:1 retrieve, and can hold 12lb/120yds at least. Rod wise I'd say any 6'6" rod rated for 12-20lb. Use a size 1 owner or circle hook to fly-line fin bait. Or throw swimbaits.
-15lb test set-up. Larger baitcaster with 10lbs of drag and up for the cudas. Faster retrieve or a 6:1 is okay, can hold 14lb/180yds. Rod wise a swimbait set-up would be nice something rated for 12-25lb or 12-30lb. size 1 owner or circle hook to fly-line fin bait. Could trowing small irons (Pewees) or krocs.

Honestly I think that's all you really need. On twilights all you'll really hook-up into are Sand Bass, Calicos (maybe), Cudas, and Scuplin. Oh and Mackerel too I think.

catfish 17
08-24-2010, 09:41 PM
-12lb test set-up. Say any baitcaster with like 8lbs of drag, solid 6:1 retrieve, and can hold 12lb/120yds at least. Rod wise I'd say any 6'6" rod rated for 12-20lb. Use a size 1 owner or circle hook to fly-line fin bait. Or throw swimbaits.
-15lb test set-up. Larger baitcaster with 10lbs of drag and up for the cudas. Faster retrieve or a 6:1 is okay, can hold 14lb/180yds. Rod wise a swimbait set-up would be nice something rated for 12-25lb or 12-30lb. size 1 owner or circle hook to fly-line fin bait. Could trowing small irons (Pewees) or krocs.

Honestly I think that's all you really need. On twilights all you'll really hook-up into are Sand Bass, Calicos (maybe), Cudas, and Scuplin. Oh and Mackerel too I think.

cool. nice info. i think im going to take a regular pole tomorrow. it has a 10 pound line.

Ifishtoolittle
08-25-2010, 12:36 PM
cool. nice info. i think im going to take a regular pole tomorrow. it has a 10 pound line.

10lb line should be fine unless you hook into a soild cuda or monster sandie. Just make sure you have some circle hooks so that if you do hook up on the big ones you won't lose it. Good luck out there.

spangomx
08-25-2010, 12:39 PM
Look forward to the report...wish i was going

TFC_arvilJDM
08-25-2010, 01:53 PM
Buddy of mines went on a twilight last week. He wasn't geared up, and all he had set up was a dropper loop rig. He said everyone was catching sandies mainly off of plastics. Not sure which types & colors. But its also good to leave land prepared.

Goodluck out there!

catfish 17
08-25-2010, 02:19 PM
Buddy of mines went on a twilight last week. He wasn't geared up, and all he had set up was a dropper loop rig. He said everyone was catching sandies mainly off of plastics. Not sure which types & colors. But its also good to leave land prepared.

Goodluck out there!

yeah plastics work good. I went on the full day trip on the pursuit out off 22nd street landing, they were selling some plastic fish. The colors were blue with white. I caught lots on that. I bought two, and still have them both.