PDA

View Full Version : Got skunked @ Coachella Canal

VietReefer
08-24-2010, 01:19 AM
Hi all
I'm a noob to the desert area. Just spending a couple months here at my gf's place to study for my stateboards. She's a pharmacist at Walgreens. I've been lurking on the forum for couple of days and read so much successful fishing stories @ the canal. I tried the canal that runs to lake cahuilla @ Jefferson & 54th, lake Cahuilla, and the Coachella Canal @ Dillon & 44th. Out at the 7,8 times those I fished these places, I got 1 tiny catfish (released) & another 1-2 lb channel cats which I kept to show my gf I got something, because she always said I always come home with nothing. Most of the time I used shrimps, chicken livers, nightcrawlers, bugs and even squid & powerbait. But most of the time nada. I don't catch anything despite numberous great report from other people who fished the canal.
Would someone who's familiar with the area & the canal pinpoint me some locations to fish on the canal. I wouldn't ask for your secret spots or holes but just which segment of the canal (which cross streets) I can fish with more success.
Is there any specific techniques to catfish fishing? I usually just have the sinker on the bottom, #4 hooks 1-2 feet up, cast out and wait for a bite. Am I doing anything wrong?
Also, I see some commom carp occassionally on the canal, is there any specific techniques and bait to fish them?
Thank you so much. Just gonna be in the desert for another month or so before I move back home.

VietReefer
08-24-2010, 05:00 AM
Please move to the Colorado River sub-forum, I post this thread in the wrong forum. Thanks

Desertfishen2
08-24-2010, 07:30 PM
I have good luck on striper out of the canal too. you can try a shad lure in silver and throw into the rough water at a drop spot. there is one at the end of 52nd out against the hills. i have had good luck there for stripers. never tried for cats there but up the way towards salton sea a few miles (past mecca) in the canal i have pulled a 43lb flathead using bluegill for bait. and I have seen several 30-40lb flatheads come from cahuilla so there should be flatheads all along there. as far as channel cats the best i have had is 2lbs but it was delicious and i would like some more of those. lol
Good Luck and I hope the info helps

yolo
08-24-2010, 08:39 PM
VietReefer, If the water is moving try a big chunk of chicken liver with no weight. Cast it out almost to the other side and let it drift and sink with the flow. You then walk with it as it tumbles along the bottom. You can bounce it up off the bottom occasionally. This is a deadly tactic for the catfish and will even entice stripers. It's a bit of work and beats bait and wait. It produces like crazy in the aqueduct so I don't see why it would be different in your canal. PM me if it works out for you because I don't really check this sub forum. Good luck.

VietReefer
08-26-2010, 08:58 PM
Thanks, I'll try your method the next time I fish.
One problem with chicken liver though is that it falls off the hook all the time, even when there's no bite.

VietReefer, If the water is moving try a big chunk of chicken liver with no weight. Cast it out almost to the other side and let it drift and sink with the flow. You then walk with it as it tumbles along the bottom. You can bounce it up off the bottom occasionally. This is a deadly tactic for the catfish and will even entice stripers. It's a bit of work and beats bait and wait. It produces like crazy in the aqueduct so I don't see why it would be different in your canal. PM me if it works out for you because I don't really check this sub forum. Good luck.

VietReefer
08-26-2010, 09:00 PM
Thanks Desertfishen2. I've PMed you for some other info.

I have good luck on striper out of the canal too. you can try a shad lure in silver and throw into the rough water at a drop spot. there is one at the end of 52nd out against the hills. i have had good luck there for stripers. never tried for cats there but up the way towards salton sea a few miles (past mecca) in the canal i have pulled a 43lb flathead using bluegill for bait. and I have seen several 30-40lb flatheads come from cahuilla so there should be flatheads all along there. as far as channel cats the best i have had is 2lbs but it was delicious and i would like some more of those. lol
Good Luck and I hope the info helps

bluehunter
08-26-2010, 10:35 PM
One problem with chicken liver though is that it falls off the hook all the time, even when there's no bite.

Try using a biger treble hook and wrapping the liver around it or using the treble hook and wrapping liver with light string. That will stop you from losing some of the liver. Liver is killer bait for channels on the canals. One of the better baits to use.

Kevthecatfishstudent
08-27-2010, 10:14 AM
I use single hooks for liver. I like khale hooks the shape helps hold the liver on. I carry a bunch of thread I bought for 99 cent. If you break off a piece of thread and hook one end and continue to wrap the thread around the hook and liver it should stay on with no problem. If you have a chance check out cochella lake theres a bundle of kitties in there.

yolo
08-27-2010, 01:15 PM

If hook and loop and hook and loop and hook and loop the liver it stays on quite nicely. Never had a problem with it coming off even drifting and tumbling along. I never use string or pantyhose or anything like that. You don't have to chuck it far anyway in the canals.

VietReefer
08-27-2010, 08:41 PM
Thanks everyone for your inputs

VietReefer
08-27-2010, 08:46 PM
I use single hooks for liver. I like khale hooks the shape helps hold the liver on. I carry a bunch of thread I bought for 99 cent. If you break off a piece of thread and hook one end and continue to wrap the thread around the hook and liver it should stay on with no problem. If you have a chance check out cochella lake theres a bundle of kitties in there.

Where is this lake bro, I've never heard of it. thanks