PDA

View Full Version : Rock Creek Report (Little Lakes Valley Actually) - Aug. 15

patusc55
08-21-2010, 11:28 PM
My wife and I headed up to Mack, Marsh, Heart, and Box Lakes this past Sunday. Got a little bit of a late start, hitting the trail at 9:00 am. Fished Mack Lake on west side just past the rock cliff. Could see Brookies all over the place but nothing hit. Continue on because I really wanted to get up to Heart and Box.

When we got to Heart, I was hoping to fish the Rock Creek inlet from Box, but found three guys already fishing it. Nothing's worse than someone jumping your spot so I walked on by to the the outlet from Box.

One of the guys at Johnny's Sport Shop in Pasadena had recommended a gold Fiord Jr spoon. I had never heard of the lure, but with the time he spent with me at the shop I decided to buy one just because of the customer service.

It paid off.

On my first cast into Box, I reeled in a 6" wild rainbow. I continued my way around the lake, bringing in a 5" wild brown in the first side lake. Finally, off the east shoreline of Box's main lake, I brought in another 6" wild rainbow. By the time I got to the rocks on the far end where I had planned to do most of my fishing, it was time to find my wife for lunch as it was almost 12:00. (She had found a nice spot on the west side of Box to read a book all morning.

Unfortunately, I forgot she had our camera so none of my fish were photographed. All three were released.

Thanks to Smitty for the advice in his book because that is what I followed for the locations. Thanks to the guy from Johnny's who hooked me up with the Fiord.

JAG107
08-22-2010, 04:52 PM
Nice going! I had some great catches up there on July 4th this year. Love those little lakes!

billy b
08-22-2010, 05:22 PM
GREAT REPORT

Johnny's was my place ... one of the 2 things I miss from LA (except many friends). Was it 1/8 or 1/4 ounce. Fiord spoons have been around for years I reckong.

FIGHT ON!!!

n2H2O
08-24-2010, 03:57 PM
im headed up that way this weekend and want to do this hike about how many miles would you say it is round trip?