PDA

View Full Version : So you fell into the Aqueduct?

Got-to-fish
08-21-2010, 09:37 PM
I've often wondered what would happen if I fell into the Aqueduct, weather I was reeling in a big fish or I just lost my footing and went in. Could you make it up the slippery embankment, would your fishing buddy be able to pull you out, and what if your alone? I'm sure it depends where you fall in, before the gates or after. I often fish there at night as many people do, falling in with the fast current not being able to see unless your lucky enough that your headlamp is still working wouild be your only hope. I personally have had a few close calls but have gotten lucky and not gone in. There's got to be some great stories out there of people falling in and hopefully surviving! Anybody?

kpn
08-21-2010, 09:44 PM
Got-to-fish,
If you happen to go in, just swim along the bank and find a ladder, there is one in every 500'. Lucky me....I never going in YET! :LOL:. And that's why I never go to the duct alone.

KPN.

cutbait
08-22-2010, 02:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hReW-H-GjM4&p=2ACB3946E1BB2AE4&playnext=1&index=43

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JJqLvvKM9U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjXCA3a6LR0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTx5ISkAKvI&feature=related

My nieghbor caught a 25 lber. Jumped in and wrestled him back to the bank.

yolo
08-22-2010, 08:47 AM
In 25 years of duct fishing I finally went in about 3 years ago new year's day morning. No I didn't drink the night before, lol. I was able to turn around and walk right back up the bank and got out. There was no flow that day and there usually isn't in the winter. It was obviously a cold walk back to my car as I was about 3/4 mile from it. I was just too close to the edge and not paying attention and stepped on the slime and instantly slid in.

If you do go in, don't panic and if you can't walk back up where you went in just float (if water is moving) or swim down to the next ladder or buoy line with ladder to be able to get out.

Man it was a s

M@M
08-22-2010, 12:05 PM
On these HOT day's I'm tempted to jump in....that water looks refreshing!.........But with my luck I'd get Snagged!

trail blazer
08-22-2010, 09:02 PM
When i was ALOT younger,,,,,,teenager,,,,,, i would swim in there all the time to stay cool while fishing in the summertime,,,,,,,,never above or near a siphon or gate though,,,,,,,,,always used the ladders to get back out.

CL SmooV
08-22-2010, 09:27 PM
uncle went in the duct back in the summer of 87. lost his fake teeth and ego in the process. pulled him out using the 3 chain stringers we linked together. we laughed at that for a whole decade. that slime is the most slippery stuff in california.

wulfman
08-22-2010, 09:44 PM
It's no big deal really. i used to live within throwing distance of the duct. It was my swimming pool, even when the current was moving. One time when i was a kid by brother fell in trying to play with the catfish he just caught. When he fell in, my dad's buddy said "hey get your son" my dad's response " forget the kid, grab the fish, the kid can swim". All my brother did was float down the the next ladder and climb out. He was about seven at the time.

fishinone
08-23-2010, 12:03 PM
When I first started going out there I stood down near the water and got my toes in. I put my weight on my toes and in I went

I went down on my knees and in the water up to my crotch. I walked out on my shins and the side of my feet, just taking it really slow. It was winter and it was cold. Glad I didn't go all the way in. I was about 1/2 a mile from the truck.

I stand back now, especially above siphons and gates. lol

surfguard99
09-09-2010, 04:30 PM
Hey Wolf Man. Its Brian Fitz. That sounds like your dad. I went swimming in the duck a few weeks ago. I got brand new $12.00 lure caugh on some old fishing line. So I stripped down to my boxers and swam out and got it. I had onlt thrown it a few times, and I was not willing to part with it yet.

sawoobley
09-11-2010, 02:58 PM
For some reason I thought I read somewhere that you are suppose to tuck your legs into your chest and use your arms to swim downstream at a 45 degree angle toward the sides so you can reach a ladder. At least during fast flows. That way your legs stay out of the faster flowing water down deeper.

:Cool: