PDA

View Full Version : Santa Ana River Lakes - 8/20

rudibach
08-21-2010, 08:16 PM
Hello all -

Took the family out to fish at Santa Ana River lakes on Friday night for the 24 hour deal. Ended up catching two catfish.

Was wondering if someone could give me some tips. We had are poles set out using the hanging bobber to indicate a bite and we were getting bit all the time - bobber would lift up all the way to pole, but that would be the end of it (i guess fish would take off). Is there something I should be doing different. I also tried the open bail method, but had no success getting them that way either. Just trying to figure out how to hookup on some of those bites we were getting.

smokehound
08-21-2010, 08:53 PM
Hello all -

Took the family out to fish at Santa Ana River lakes on Friday night for the 24 hour deal. Ended up catching two catfish.

Was wondering if someone could give me some tips. We had are poles set out using the hanging bobber to indicate a bite and we were getting bit all the time - bobber would lift up all the way to pole, but that would be the end of it (i guess fish would take off). Is there something I should be doing different. I also tried the open bail method, but had no success getting them that way either. Just trying to figure out how to hookup on some of those bites we were getting.Well for starters, can you show us the rig you were using?

C-rig? (sliding egg-sinker)

Flyline?

High/Low rig? (sinker on bottom, bait suspended above)

Since you guys caught a couple, you actually did well. Many people come here and get pissed because they couldnt catch any at all!

Have you considered using Circle-Hooks? Circle-Hooks are very popular with cat fishermen, because of the way catfish attack the bait.

Ignore the taps and brief little tugs. You want your rod tip to double over-- when this happens, give the reel two-three good power cranks. --This is how you set a circle hook. By reeling.

If you yank back, you will pull the circle-hook out and lose your fish.

How about you try this next time? Let me know the next time you head over there.

rudibach
08-22-2010, 03:42 PM
Smokehound -

Thanks for the reply.

Used C-rig and flylining (no weight). Will have to look into those circle hooks when we return. Might go back in a few weeks

Thanks again.

troutdog
08-22-2010, 04:04 PM
Good call on the circle hooks, I like flylining my baits unless I am fishing VERY deep and there is a current.

Just my opinion here, but keep in mind the amount of tilapia and smaller grade kittys sarl has been stocking...any cat over 2lbs will have no problem inhaling your offerings.

What were you using for bait, what size hook?

Welcome to FNN btw!

TD

CASTAWAY
08-23-2010, 08:29 PM
I would try using mealworms and number six hook. Just to start to see what that was that's hitting....:Wink:

smokehound
08-25-2010, 12:33 AM
Try a High/low rig. Suspending the bait, rather than it sitting on the bottom is more effective in most cases.. It gets the hook in the cat's mouth easier, plus they tend to self-hook this way.

of course, flylining is just as good. Cast out, leave a bit of slack in the line so the catfish doesnt feel resistance on the line.

I NEVER keep the line tight. Always leave a little bit of slack. Enough for the fish to not feel resistance, yet still taught-- letting you see the bites..