PDA

View Full Version : Duct by Buena Vista Golf Course and a Shot out to All

Kevthecatfishstudent
08-20-2010, 04:17 PM
Fished the duct next to Buena Vista lake and Golf course from 3-7 this morning. I had work to do out that way at 8 so I fugure I'd check out this area for a bit. Well I don't have one of thosetrusted KPN's (Yet) and don't really like to throw anything to often so the result was a skunk for me. I threw chovies, shad, nitro and reg crawlers, and mac. (I forgot my damn chicken liver.) I tries several different areas, where the gates opened, under roads and bridges and also tried several diefferent rigs for nada. The problem I kept having is all the Salad in the water. It is aboslutely ridicoulous out there. I ove fishing the duct although I don't cacth much out of them but all the salad is too much. That's why I would personally like to give a shot out to all the Bako boys, and others who have had the patience to learn and conquer these beastly waters. Anyone who can consistently catch fish out of this body of water deserve respect amongst fishermen. I don't care if it up there in Bako, Modesto, Stockton, or down in Palmdale, Lancaster, Hesperia or anywhere. Hats off to you guys.

Kevthecatfishstudent
08-20-2010, 04:19 PM
On another note I did find some waters around the duct that produced several very small kitties which is exciting because I know in a few years its going to be some big em's in there.

yolo
08-20-2010, 04:23 PM
Did you try some lures at all? When you bait and wait, the salad just collects and collects on your line.

Got-to-fish
08-20-2010, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the respect Kevthecatfishstudent! The Duct is not an easy place to fish even without the salad. Whenever the salad is there I will either switch to a top water lure or use a fast retrieve and the salad doesn't seem to stick as much, and maybe use shorter casts and work the lure agressively, this is what worked for me yesterday. Search for water ways going into or out of the duct the striper will uasually hang out there and ambush there prey. I'm no expert myself yet and probably never will be, but I can tell you one thing........DON'T EVER GIVE UP AND YOU WILL GET YOUR FISH!!

gletemfeelsteelgary
08-23-2010, 10:03 AM
In all honesty, right now under the current conditions and extreme heavy flows, it isn't really the right time of season to begin fishing the duct for someone new to the whole concept, bait or lures your gonna have a rough time.

Many who have been fishing it for a while do tend to continue to catch fish but this come from some SERIOUS pounding and utilizing a whole lot of duct time experience.

Normally I encourage others to get right back out and pound it but my best advice at this point would be to wait till the flows slow a bit and the subsequent salad reduces, then your chances will be greater for a more lucritive trip.

My 2 cents..

Santa Fe Eric
08-23-2010, 05:30 PM
Nice post kev! Wish I could have been there with ya! It was cool fishing with you this past Saturday!

Kevthecatfishstudent
08-26-2010, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the responses fellas. I did throw lures for a bit but as the name reads I really enjoy catching kitties. Although I love lineside fishing as well, but some days I just want to focus on kitties you know? I found some really nice areas to trhow lures and I imagine they would have been the best bet but I didn't have anything that would dive or heavy enough to flow throught that current. I love fishing at night so the duct is appealing to me year around, but I think I will listen to gletemfeelsteel and just hit the local (Well Victorville, hesperia) ducts if I decide to fish it anytime soon.

Kevthecatfishstudent
08-26-2010, 11:06 AM
Big E I wish you were there too I feel that when you are fishing with me your kowledge and presence helps to get the Mojo right and gets the fish active. I'm fiending for some catfish pickings so we need to get this together.

madwire3
08-28-2010, 02:23 PM
the waters near the duct by the course? u talking about the canal behind b.v? between the duct and b.v.??? if so i wouldnt eat anything from there that water is treated for farm use seen many weird growths and deformities "sp?" on cats and carp out of there, still fun fishing tons of carp in there and sharp rocks to test your nerves

NooB SaBass
08-30-2010, 08:57 AM
Don't feel bad man I have spent 4 hours strait working Sections covering 2 miles for 0... Just part of Duct fishing...Hopefully I will get 1 eventually tired of being a Duct Virgin hahaha