PDA

View Full Version : getting hung up

c17lat
08-19-2010, 10:44 PM
I just moved out here from MD, and I'm not used to fishing deep clear water. The two times i've been to dvl, I've tried drop shotting and c-rigging, which I have barely done on the east coast. I got hung up A LOT...i'm guessing the weight's are getting stuck in the rock crevices. What do yall do to prevent it at DVL

Danny300
08-20-2010, 01:35 AM
nice report

TroutOnly
08-20-2010, 07:10 AM
man is smartass **** all that comes out from you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Lunker1979
08-20-2010, 08:16 AM
I just moved out here from MD, and I'm not used to fishing deep clear water. The two times i've been to dvl, I've tried drop shotting and c-rigging, which I have barely done on the east coast. I got hung up A LOT...i'm guessing the weight's are getting stuck in the rock crevices. What do yall do to prevent it at DVL

Well, unfortunately there isn't too much you can do to prevent it. Try not fishing the bottom when you are near the rock areas. Go out a little deeper and you get away from the rockier areas. Use a little lighter weight if the conditions allow it. I rarely use heavy sinkers in less it's the dead of winter and I need to get down 60-70 feet. If you are fishing the weedy areas, I would rig your baits weedless, that might help a bit. Good luck!

gletemfeelsteelgary
08-20-2010, 11:47 AM

Try using dropshot rig with a "Rockhopper weight" that should reduce snagging...the obvious solution to snagging would be to texas rig the plastic...

Of course the texas rig is a different presentation....that rig will bring you through all sorts of trash, rocks wood,grass etc. but the action of the worm is not the same as dropshot but very effective nonetheless..

You may also try splitshotting the worm which is very similar to a carolina rig presentation but with more finnesse,m I'll bet you'll find that you'll snag less with this aproch than a carolina as you do not use as much weight with the splitshot.

If your not targeting too deep of water one of my favorite methods is texas rig a senko but no weight....flyline it but I'll note that this flyline method isn't the most appropriate if your targeting deeper regions....

I'd say 8' to 16' roughly would be ideal with that presentation..

Hope that helps !

Good luck,
Gary

TroutOnly
08-20-2010, 02:37 PM
thanks lunker and feel the peel,,,,,,,,,,,,,,bass noobs need help too,,,,,,,,,,,,

gletemfeelsteelgary
08-20-2010, 02:48 PM
thanks lunker and feel the peel,,,,,,,,,,,,,,bass noobs need help too,,,,,,,,,,,,

Did you takes notes Bob ? ha ha ha ha....just don't ask me to bring my Senko's this weekend....

Powerbait.....YES

Meal Worms ....YES

Wax Worms ...YES

2lb test and a noodle stick....

3' long !

Yellow of course !

Maybe you have a rig like that I can borrow ?

Ohhhhh yeah.....

Count it down Bob....t-minus....13 hrs....15 minutes.....and counting..

Woooo-hoo...

P.S.

All jokes aside:

as far as tips....I know the bass boys will frown but try flylining a crawler for LMB too.....very little snagging and ultra finnesse presentation...

#4 baitholder hook and 6-8lb test

7' medium action rod...

BassEngineer
08-20-2010, 04:06 PM
I don't know what type of weight you were using but I am guessing it wasn't the long skinny type. If you use a round weight or a teardrop you will get hung up more in the rocks.
I personally like to use the tungsten skinny + long types...since they are about 1/2 the size of lead.

CL SmooV
08-21-2010, 10:33 AM

I second the smart *** the thing. yo d boy, youve been stabbin folks with sharp comments for weeks now, you ok dude? lol got damn! what is it? no sex? no lipped fish? or both? lol, what ever the case chill on folks sometimes dude.