PDA

View Full Version : Trailer registration questions...

Mase
04-20-2007, 09:28 AM
A friend of mine inherited a rowboat and trailer. The trailer has no plate and I read that a rowboat doesn't need registration.

What is required to get a CA plate for the boat trailer? What documents are needed? Will the dmv do an inspection? How much will it cost?

Thanks for any help.

Bucket bay
04-20-2007, 09:38 AM
A friend of mine inherited a rowboat and trailer. The trailer has no plate and I read that a rowboat doesn't need registration.

What is required to get a CA plate for the boat trailer? What documents are needed? Will the dmv do an inspection? How much will it cost?

Thanks for any help.

Yes you will need to take it down to dmv to get a vin issued to the
Trailer and registered it runs about $65.

Devious 1
04-20-2007, 11:02 AM
Do you have the title? Does it have the unladen weight of the trailer printed on it? In not, you will need a weight certificate from an authorized "weighmaster" to register a trailer in Ca. You can get this from just about any recycling center. In Ca they determine your yearly registration dues with some crazy formula that incorporates the "unladen" weight of the trailer. Most states put this info. on the title for the trailer. - Check yours in advance. If you don't have one or it doesn't have the weight on it, make sure you get the certificate before you go (I pd. $10 to get it done) or you will end up wasting a lot of time @ the DMV...

Mase
04-25-2007, 07:54 AM
Thanks alot for the info. I wasn't sure if I needed a weight cert or not. My pickup did for registration...crazy CA fees... The scale on base does it for free.

He doesn't have the title and we haven't looked over the trailer close enough to see if the weight is printed on it. I was doing some research on the dmv site and it looks like he can fill out an application for a title if he doesn't have one.

Thanks again.