PDA

View Full Version : Rpt. Wed. 8-18-10 Coronados-One Pukey Point Tail!

Tunaslam
08-19-2010, 01:35 PM
Fishing Wednesday, 8-18-10, with Lal on his 18’ boat “Rubber Ducky”. I met Lal at his home in Cerritos at 4am. Off we went on an adventure to San Diego, having a case of Yellowtail fever. This is a year so far most of us want to soon forget, at least fishing wise? For me, add the fire at my company, and yes things could be better? The economy sucks, 12 million are still unemployed, add another 60 or so from my company, a lot of Sporties stuck at the dock or fishing for Rockfish on a 1 ½ day trip, yikes! Oh well at least any kind of fishing provides a relief valve from the pressure that builds up, even if you don’t catch a bunch of fish? It helps!

We arrived at Shelter Island shortly before 6am, picked up a healthy scoop of Sardines from EB, lots of slimy green rascals, and cleared the Point at 6:10 am! For a change there were calm seas, and of all things a Sunrise? Almost forgot what that looked like, being that most of our “Summer” trips have been in overcast conditions, rough seas, and freezing cold!

Had to take a picture, hope I can repeat or improve this picture on our next trip out?

http://www.senortuna.com/pics/data/502/100_1082.jpg

Arrived to the Middle Grounds where supposedly yesterday’s hot Yellowtail bite was, guess I should of checked out Fish Dope? I took the report of a fellow Bloody Decker, 3 for 5 at MG, as gospel, and that’s where we started. Now the MG might have been hot on Tuesday, what do I know? However, almost everyone went to Pukey Point to start the day off, including everyone of the Sporties! Now we heard it was an afternoon bite, so what the heck, maybe it goes off at MG in the afternoon? Anyhow Lal and I slow trolled dines for awhile at MG, took a look at South Island and South Kelp, cold dirty green water. It went from 65.4 to 60.8 degrees at the south end of South Island, not good.

Back to MG, talked to a couple of Divers, who we watched scream at several private boaters that raced by their boat, without a clue that the Red Flag was up and barely missed the divers in the water. We need some sort of system to license a private boaters before they take a boat on the water, and cause an accident to others and themselves?

OK so it’s now about 9am, and the MG has now been abandoned by everyone but us? Now is the fleet actually catching Sculpin on their morning bite or Yellowtail? We can’t stand it anymore, and head to Pukey. Five Sporties set up quite a ways from the Point. Lot’s of private boaters surrounding them. Started to slow troll near the Point, chatted with a few private boaters, one had a Yellowtail, another had three, and we watched a hookup here and there throughout the morning. Lady luck was not on our side today, as several times we just crossed an area an looked back at someone hooked up. Of course we were experts at getting seal bit!

Talking to most and listening to the radio, a lot of private boaters were experiencing the same results, high boat had maybe five, most had one or two Yellowtail. Finally Lal gets hooked up, and lands a 12 pound Yellowtail at just after high noon. Wow the skunk is finally off. It was Lal’s first Tail of the year, I only have three so far, and it is the middle of August right?

http://www.senortuna.com/pics/data/502/100_1085.jpg

http://www.senortuna.com/pics/data/502/100_1086.jpg

We saw maybe three more hookups the rest of the afternoon, watched a couple get stolen by the seals, gad we need a defense against these animals? We watched the Sporties take a lot of Hamburger breaks, working way offshore 3 or 4 miles, and circle around and return to Pukey Point? Saw only one set up at MG, and it didn’t stay long? Must have been the conditions changed drastically from Tuesday? We were surprised as the San Diego who had the best count on Tuesday, stayed at North Island, except for it’s Hamburger breaks.

Well it’s now 4:20 pm, everyone has left, but us, except the Chubosco II, which has a hung anchor. They must of worked it for 45 minutes, don’t know how it ended, as we finally bailed. Right now it was drop dead gorgeous at Pukey Point! There were white caps and 10-15 knot winds most of the late morning and afternoon. However, the wind was now backing off and it was extremely clear and beautiful. I took a couple of shots of South Island and MG before we left.

http://www.senortuna.com/pics/data/502/100_1087.jpg

http://www.senortuna.com/pics/data/502/100_1088.jpg

It was a pleasant ride back to the dock at 25 knots, on the trailer by 5:50 pm, ran into the usual traffic jam at the intersection of the 5 and 805, until we passed Del Mar. Back at Lal’s by 8pm, washed down the boat, cleaned the Tail, toasted with a class of Ice Cold Chardonnay, and back home in Diamond Bar at 9pm. Hungry and very tired, and hopeful that we have a very late fishing season. Can’t say we haven’t given it the old college try though.

This morning read the counts, Malihini 10 Tails, San Diego 3 and Mission Belle zero. A down day? Gad I thought we were on this bite with good timing, lasted all of one day, bummer? It can only get better, right?

Thanks again Lal, another memory on the Rubber Ducky! Congrats on your first Tail of the year, now that’s sad? Looking forward to some Hamachi Sashimi tonight, yum yum!

Hook up! Cory

E.A.R.G.
08-19-2010, 02:08 PM
Congrats on the first tail of the year!
I'm sure they'll come through.
Definitely want to be out there when they do!

elevated
08-19-2010, 02:10 PM
Can’t say we haven’t given it the old college try though.

haha I like that, nice report. At least you guys got one...

JapanRon
08-19-2010, 07:36 PM
Hi Tunaslam,

Awesome ....... Soooooo look forward to your reports.

JapanRon

DockRat
08-19-2010, 07:46 PM
Nice YT Lal :Thumbs Up:

It was Lal’s first Tail of the year, I only have three so far, and it is the middle of August right?

Does the 3 include the head the seal left you ?
If not we'll give you a 1/4 point for the head making it 3 1/4 year to date.

Hey Cory, do you ever free spool it when a seal is ready to hit your catch ?

Great Post
DR

murrieta angler
08-19-2010, 07:53 PM
Hey Cory!
I was on the San Diego Tuesday and it was a beautiful day also. I had written up a full report but it vanished into thin air.
The water temps at the MG was 67 degrees that day. You couldn't miss all the birds diving and the boils, that were in fact in the afternoon, in fact there were tons of dolphins and even a few whales.
I was quite surprised that the counts dropped after just one day.
Well, like you said, at least you were out there enjoying life.
Take care and thanks for the report and pics.
Robert

Tunaslam
08-20-2010, 06:54 AM
Nice YT Lal :Thumbs Up:

Does the 3 include the head the seal left you ?
If not we'll give you a 1/4 point for the head making it 3 1/4 year to date.

Hey Cory, do you ever free spool it when a seal is ready to hit your catch ?

Great Post
DR

Yep and sometimes that works, but not often, of course you have to be able to see your fish and the seal before making that decision?

Cory

Tunaslam
08-20-2010, 06:57 AM
Hey Cory!
I was on the San Diego Tuesday and it was a beautiful day also. I had written up a full report but it vanished into thin air.
The water temps at the MG was 67 degrees that day. You couldn't miss all the birds diving and the boils, that were in fact in the afternoon, in fact there were tons of dolphins and even a few whales.
I was quite surprised that the counts dropped after just one day.
Well, like you said, at least you were out there enjoying life.
Take care and thanks for the report and pics.
Robert

Hi Robert, I have to guess that the San Diego Captain didn't like what he saw or heard and returned to Pukey on Wed. then? Amazing how conditions play such a big role in catching?

Cory