PDA

View Full Version : Trolling motor help!!

tadj88
08-19-2010, 10:51 AM
So I recently introduced myself in the welcome section and figured it wouldn't hurt to ask a question right away since everyone here knows WAY more about boats than I do. Ok so I recently fixed up a very old 14' aluminum that I inherited. I have an old 1987 evinrude outboard on it and I know I can't take this to DVL. I also have an old minnkota trolling motor that I know works but I have never taken it out. I have been wanting to check out DVL forever now and was wondering if I would be able to get by with just using the trolling motor. I believe it is only like 40lb thrust. This might be a very dumb question but I don't really wanna shore fish. Thanks for the help

NoHo ART
08-20-2010, 12:33 AM
that can work but you will be gambling! 1 wind gust and your all over the place.
i would recommend to put a few hundred together and check on craigslist you can find 5-8hp four strokes for $300-$500

P.A.W.
08-20-2010, 06:01 AM
Well I did exactly this on my first 2 trips to DVL. First trip all went fine (just stay kinda close to the launch area. Next trip I took a 2nd brand new trolling battery and ventured to the restroom area accross the lake. On the way back my battery pooped out so I hooked up the brand new one.... ZILCH!!!! It was like 5:00 wind picking up and I just had one paddle. I was PISSED at Walmart for selling me a bad battery.

Anyway If you have confidence in your battery Then you can easily get around to the dam to the east or a couple of coves over to the west and spend the day.

tadj88
08-20-2010, 02:36 PM
Alright thanks a lot for the info. I'll eventually spend the money on a newer 4hp outboard. I think I'm going to give the trolling motor a shot there one time and see how it goes. I really appreciate the help. And yeah I won't trust wal-mart then lol I'll make sure everything is cool before I take off.