PDA

View Full Version : help (bilge pump)

fish4lunkers
07-23-2007, 03:59 PM
Hey guys, i'm trying to install a new bilge pump and it appears easy except for the fact that i cant get to it.
I'm wondering if theres a trick to get under the rear deck, the only space i,ve got is where the batteries are at and i cant reach the bilge pump from there and will never get to the tube conected to the other side of the boat(i'd like to replace that as well) I'm wondering if the middle carpeted area comes off but looks like its all fiberglass. Let me know if you guys have any ideas or experieces getting to this hard to reach area on bass boats.
http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/DSCF2591.JPG

http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/DSCF2592.JPG
http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/DSCF2593.JPG
http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/DSCF2594.JPG

vanillagurilla
07-23-2007, 04:27 PM
looks like a big hatch on the starboard side did you try that?

fish4lunkers
07-23-2007, 04:46 PM
If the starboard side is the right side thats a livewell and its all fiberglassed and part of the boat. If its the left side thats open in the pics thats the only opening but i'll never reach the other side of the boat from there to change the hose. Thanks though..any other suggestions.

8lbCalico
07-23-2007, 05:40 PM
The live well should be an insert into the shell of the deck, there has to be a way to take the live well out. I assume you bilge exhust is under the live well... This being the case IU would also assume that you can remove the live well. Other than that I would tear that carpet off the center and investigate further to be sure there is not a hatch or piece of plywood that can be cut. remove carpet and post more pics.

fishntoss
07-23-2007, 11:31 PM
First of all .. good luck, I agree with Calico. I would assume(and thats dangerous) that middle part of the deck is put in there somehow. Any luck on lookin on the internet for the maker of the boat. Might be able to find somewhere you can get some tech advice. A bilge pump doesn't last forever so there has to be some way to get it out and replace it. Didn't say it would be easy, but, it has to come out somehow.

If all else fails.. take a sawzall and... :shock: :smash: oh wait,, its a boat huh..??? never mind..

Just took another look at the pic.. Is there anyway that the middle seat comes out. Maybe you could slide in that way.. Don't know the boat, so, just shootin ya some ideas..

Got any small kids around??

And, I'm sure you've already disconnected the battery before you really get diggin in there...

Is the bilge that white thing underneath the filler hose? Can you get that out?(the gas filler hose) do you want to replace just the bilge or the hose that goes to it as well?
I'm also assuming that you stuck your head in the hole and looked underneath the center carpet from the bottom?? If you have and it looks like fiberglass, it is. Forget that idea then. Looks like its gonna be a tight squeeze no matter what...

fishfinder
07-24-2007, 07:56 AM
i agree. pull out the livewell.

fish4lunkers
07-24-2007, 10:04 AM
Thanks guys for all your help. The livewell is constructed with the boat and does not come out. I can see the underneath the center piece and it looks to be glassed in. The white thing is the bilge pump and i can easily get to that but i wanted to replace the hose too due to the fact that my kid stuck something down the hole. I think i can get to it if i remove one of the air vent things but they are pop riveted, and i don't know how to get those out.

fishfinder
07-24-2007, 10:16 AM
to remove the pop rivets get a small drill bit and drill the center out of them. you might have to knock the heads of with a putty knife or chissel. they are made of aluminum and will come of easy. you can buy a hand pop rivet gun and rivets cheap at lowes. I have done this on expensive aircraft for years. very easy stuff.

fish4lunkers
07-24-2007, 02:16 PM
Well guys Its done! Thanks for everything. I got to the hose thru the air vent worked perfect. Drilled them out and i used a couple of self tapping screws to replace. The bilge pump was fine, it had one of those float switches that got stuck. I just disconectes the float switch and ran it direct to the dash mounted switch soso evry now a then when i'm on the water i can hit the switch and see if water is being pumped out. Thanks all you guys for all your help.

fishfinder
07-25-2007, 05:11 AM
great glad to here it. My boat is 7 years old and have to do a little maintenence once in awhile too. just changed the livewell pump last month.

fishntoss
07-28-2007, 09:41 AM
Congrats on gettin that all worked out. Sure glad you didn't listen to my advice. :beat: . Nice to have this board to get a bunch of ideas.
Now get that boat on the water and fish :D