PDA

View Full Version : Big Bear Lake

bstolton
08-17-2010, 08:32 PM
This sunday the wife wants to go to big bear as a warmup for our sierra trip in sept. I have only fished there once from a boat anyone have recommendations for a good area to shore fish. I have read that the dam and observitory are good areas. what is the most acessable? The fish reports talk about using a slip bobber is this the norm for up there? What about thomas bouyants and spinners or power worms from shore?

Thanks Bill

billy b
08-18-2010, 07:07 AM
try www.bigbearmarina.com for some tips. The last 2 weekly reports mention lead core and slip bobbing ... and trolling from the dam east ... mainly on the north side.

BTW - Slip bobbers work great ... you can get some tips and setups ... if you need them ... at the sporting goods just as you enter the village.

Cameron
08-18-2010, 01:38 PM
I just got back after a full morning of fishing a slip bobber & the bottom with long leader.I started out at the SS relief for bout 2hrs,,,,,nothing happening there so to the damn I go.3 hours later still nothing but a mysterious bite that left me hung up around something.
I moved up here in Nov. and have yet to land a trout on my favorite trout lake.The O2 levels are good all over the lake & other folks still getting em from shore on the regular.Just not me,lol.
I have been knocking stockers out at SAR & a few natives ( released) here & there but BBL still skunks me on the trout.
If your looking for tips check http://www.bigbearlakesportinggoods.com/ for whats going on.I hope you do better than I have,good luck.

bstolton
08-18-2010, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the info guys. thinking maybe i should rent a boat. anybody know how the const is affecting acess and or parking near the dam?
Thanks Bill

Cameron
08-19-2010, 12:01 PM
the fish have moved east with the better D/O in the water & cooler temps,i hear its from metcalf to boulder bay.the damn has limited parking during the week,I dont go to the lake on the weekends.check out the sporting good store.

DockRat
08-20-2010, 07:22 PM
I moved up here in Nov.
What area of BB did you move too ?
Used to fish Boulder and Papoose Bay alot back in the day.
My dad lives off Fox Farm Rd area.
DR

bstolton
08-20-2010, 10:02 PM
looks like we are going to rent a boat, picked up some slip bobbers so we will try and drift with nightcrawlers and PB. If we get there early I will have to try some lures and maybe even some mini jigs under a bobber. wish us luck, I hope its not to hot. I will post a report on monday good or bad.

Thanks Bill

T

etaggart
08-20-2010, 10:35 PM
Hey T,

If you get a boat, I'd suggest focusing on the west end of the lake. East end and observatory are getting pretty warm and

Try working a U around the 5mph markers on both north and south side of lake - and work-it west to the boom-line if the areas immediately around the 5pmh markers don't seem to be hitting. We've gotten very little in the middle of the lake lately. South side was hitting well for us last weekend, but the north side did well for me tubing with flies previously. I'd also suggest trolling lead-core or using anything else where you can keep your lures at 10-15 feet. Not many fish below 15 and BBL trout still like that magic zone. If you slip-bobber, set it so your power bait will float in the 10-15' range and cast upwind so the bait moves slowly with the wind (or drift the boat in the wind and zoom back up wind for another run).

They water level varies from 20' to 45' in those areas (a little deeper closer to the boom-line). If you have a fish finder, you'll be able to better track depths.

Gold and black have been good colors for many, but I hear plenty people catching on other colors. Needlefish and other lures do the trick - throw your whole box at'em.

Great luck - and keep multiple lines in the water with different baits/lures/levels and you're sure to hook-up.

Take pix and post'em. Some of us have to live vicariously through others when we can't be in BBL fishing ourselves.

ET

Cameron
08-21-2010, 06:19 AM
http://www.bbmwd.com/Home.html i luv that link.Please post pics & a update.Me and a buddy heading for the SAR this morning but may hit the lake tonight.I hear the cats are going crazy.