PDA

View Full Version : Did you eat the heart?

elevated
08-17-2010, 08:06 PM
So that tradition of eating the heart of your first tuna, anyone know where it came from?

From past heart eaters, any insight what it tastes like? I watched a buddy recently almost puke from the taste, and this guy is pretty tough!

Troutman65
08-17-2010, 08:14 PM
I did not eat the heart of my first yellowtail & tuna. I did take the first tuna and had it cut up sushi style and shared with everyone on the boat that wanted some.

Ifishtoolittle
08-17-2010, 08:22 PM
I ate the heart. It was an albacore of course. The taste well I'm not really sure what to tell you, but I can approximate it to a slimy, warm, iron tasting hunk of crap. For some reason though my tuna's heart was rather large, bigger than a golf ball. Just eat the thing with some soda or beer a whala!

radray
08-20-2010, 05:26 PM
I ate the heart of my first tuna. It was the first of many yellowfin tuna I caught. The captain said it was tradition and not to break with tradition, I ate the heart. What the hell? I eat sushi already. Also, he said if I eat the heart, I will be more successful in catching tuna in the future. Whether that is true or not, I can't really say because I have been successful at all the tuna trips I have gone to.

As far as the taste, it was salty. I took a big bite while it was still beating. The captain who grabbed it out of the fish seemed very knowledgeable. He was catching 30-40 lb yellowfin on a 15lb. bass setup.

Ifishtoolittle
08-20-2010, 05:28 PM
I ate the heart of my first tuna. It was the first of many yellowfin tuna I caught. The captain said it was tradition and not to break with tradition, I ate the heart. What the hell? I eat sushi already. Also, he said if I eat the heart, I will be more successful in catching tuna in the future. Whether that is true or not, I can't really say because I have been successful at all the tuna trips I have gone to.

As far as the taste, it was salty. I took a big bite while it was still beating. The captain who grabbed it out of the fish seemed very knowledgeable. He was catching 30-40 lb yellowfin on a 15lb. bass setup.

15lb test, that's the only way to do it.

DockRat
08-20-2010, 06:54 PM
No, I didn't eat it, too busy fishing.
DR

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
08-20-2010, 08:42 PM
I ate the hearts from my first albacore, yellowfin, bluefin, and bigeye tunas........................ All I asked was, "WHERE'S THE HOT STEAMED RICE, SOY SAUCE, AND WASABI ? ? ? ! ! ! "
That was back decades ago in my mid teen wild and crazy days. Everything was a rush and always tons of fish caught.
TTFM

DockRat
08-21-2010, 07:05 AM
This chick below ate the heart of a 275 lb YFT on a 10 day.
All the guys stood and watched in disbelief.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh230/glamgirl8989/heart.jpg

http://i446.photobucket.com/albums/qq187/Ashmo820/eatyoursoul.jpg

DR :ROFL:

flytyingreloader
08-22-2010, 03:14 PM
I have an ex-wife like that.

tailchaser1
08-22-2010, 03:42 PM
I didn't but fooled a couple of newbies that they needed to in order to please the fish gods. Too funnny.