PDA

View Full Version : Take the good with the bad NPH 08/13

KILLA
08-17-2010, 04:56 PM
Hey everyone, well my Ensenada Trip got cancelled this weekend at the last minute (06:30 pm I was supposed to leave at 07:30 pm) due to 17 to 30 knot winds. Not very good conditions for a 23ft Parker. Since we charterd out the boat for X amount of dollars our guide said we could still go but we might have to turn the boat around and do some rockfishing for safety reasons. I got a hold of the other peeps and we decided for that kinda money we would rather re-schedule and hit the tuna grounds another day. I was pretty bummed especially since I was so amp'd for my 1st tuna trip. On the way home I stoped at Mugs for a beer when my buddy Scott called me up to see if I wanted to throw some bait in NPH. He had just got his new 9ft Phoenix custom Jig rod in and wanted to get bendo. I already had all my gear in the truck so I headed up to Newport to meet him. Stopped off at 7-Eleven to pick up some squid, and head out for a new dock I've never fished.

It wasn't but 20 min. when Scott got a screamer, ( his drag was button'd down to ) he fought this monster for 10 min. before it snapped his 60lb spectra ( it got our blood flowing ) About 15 min went by and I get a nice hit. Set the hook and the fight was on, took me about 10 min to bring in a little 10-15 lb ray, brought it up and C&R right after I took a pic on my Droid phone, not the best camera at night but they looked alright. Again Scott's new rod zzzzzzzzzz Hook set WTF this ray is 50 yards out jumping 2-3 ft out of the water, the only thing I could see was the splash where it re-entered the water, after 3 jumps and a 20 min fight I layed down on the dock while Scott got her in position. I grabbed her by the gills and bam! 30-35 lb ray. I put a Gatorade bottle next to her while I took the pic just to show this girl off. C&R'd back into the water to fight another day. HIGH FIVES all around. ZZZ another hit on my Sealine I set the hook and at 1st I thought I was going to get spooled on 25 lb. then finally I turn it then I had to start cranking cause it was coming right at me. 10 min into the fight and a trolly boat snags my line as the ray was trying to surface SNAP! @#$%@#$% we used 1 tray of squid in 2 hrs, we left around 1230am. Went home and was going to show my girl the pics %$#%@" ^&$%^&$ $%^#$%^#^ they didn't save, So I woke up Sat. morning and went to BestBuy and invested in a new digital camera. I will post in the So Cal forum in a bit with my Aggressor pics...

Tight lines

KILLA

fisherman from long beach
08-17-2010, 06:28 PM
sorry to hear about the trip,nph on some rays is always fun.

flyngby
08-17-2010, 10:03 PM
Bat Ray Runnzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz will definitely get your attention! Landing the bigger models in the harbor is an accomplishment from shore!

DockRat
08-18-2010, 06:16 AM
Bummer on the trip. Seems windy all summer till the last 2 days.
DR

murrieta angler
08-18-2010, 09:51 AM
That sucks about the the pictures. I just got a nice Kodak from overstock.com for $50. It takes great pictures.
Thanks for the report,
Robert