PDA

View Full Version : Coronado Islands - Company Trip - Need a little help

pigdestroyer
08-17-2010, 10:45 AM
I am mainly a freshwater bass fishermen, but I am going out to the Coronado Islands with my company for the first time on Saturday. I am just curious about what kind of tackle I need to bring. I am not sure about depth, etc.

The lady at H&M said 20-30lb, but then she said they are targeting bass. That doesn't really add up to me. If you are targeting bass I would assume you want 15lb unless we are fishing a rocky bottom. I know there is a chance of bigger fish there, so I am thinking of bringing a 25lb rig and a 15lb rig.

Any advice from the experienced?

Thanks for any info.

Jeremy

DockRat
08-19-2010, 05:43 AM
Wow, tough crowd, wont give any advice ?

Go ahead and bring your 15 lb set up. On party boats they like guys with heavier line sometimes so they don't have guys playing around and can get it in quicker. Less crossed lines, less re-tieing hooks.

Your 15 and 25 set up should be fine, go for it.
DR

Nessie Hunter
08-19-2010, 07:19 AM
Spectra with a short top shot of 15# would be fine. Otherwise go with the 20#.
The fish are at about 100ft there, (high rocky spots) so line stretch is a factor..
They (bottom fish) are NOT line shy at all....
But there are Yellow Tail in the area all the time. Look for Birds (bait) = Yellows...
So bring a 30# also.....
Or as she suggested 20# and 30# would work with Minimal tackle....

Irons = Scrambled eggs is always great or ???? .
Drift them out to bottom and speed crank them in. Best method on party boat.....
Or find a place in the bow away from the Bait people and cast, sink, crank like hell!!!

Variety of Hooks, Line sinkers (Sliding eggs &/or Rubber core 1/2 oz & 1 oz)) and some large Dropper Loop Torpedo weights... 8oz 12oz 16oz... Just a few of each....

Have a good time & good luck....