PDA

View Full Version : Duct Daytime Action

yolo
08-17-2010, 10:24 AM
Hit the local duct this morning and went to one spot. Walked down flow about a mile with the KPN and nothing. Switched over to a Bass Assassin jerk bait and walked back upflow chucking it. About 3/4 of the way back I make a cast right on top of a grate. I make a twitch as soon as it hits the water and I feel lots of resistance. I thought I dropped between the grates and hung up but I still take no chance and take a big swing. Good thing I did because this was a fish. It hit hard and I set it hard and it was on. It stayed on the other side and surfaced because he hit close to the other edge. A little splash here and a little splash there and it was diving down and peeling drag going with the current. It was stubborn and didn't want to come towards me as he had the advantage being on the other side. A little more running and I get it to turn and it is going against the current now. I lead it towards me and and it gets close but makes another run away from me going up flow. I finally tire him out and land it. It had a big hump back. Kind of weird looking.

It was hot out there already at 8:45am especially walking a mile down and a mile back. I got it around 9:30am. Love that tough daytime duct striper action.

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct%208-17-10/Duct8-17-10.jpg

kpn
08-17-2010, 11:41 AM
That's a nice way to start your day Z......How is the water level there....Still low?

KPN.

Lunker1979
08-17-2010, 11:49 AM
Nicely done!

yolo
08-17-2010, 11:54 AM
No the water level is normal. The moss chunks are still throughout the water column but not so heavy. It is fishable for sure but the moss hits the line and makes its way down to the lure and it brings it up higher in the water column working the lure. It makes the lure more buoyant and the current brings it up higher. It's ok because the fish are obviously not just down low.

I think I snapped the back of his neck I swung so hard. I had too as it was clear on the other side. That's why it looks kinda funky at the head and back transition :) Heck it slammed my lure hard too so turnabout is fair, lol.

fishinone
08-17-2010, 12:40 PM
Congrats, nice catch.

NooB SaBass
08-17-2010, 05:45 PM
*sigh*, man u guys make it look so easy lol

yolo
08-17-2010, 07:40 PM
Easy, not, but it is actually work. Ask any true duct fisherman and they will tell you that or they are lying. Some of the vampire guys have it easier as it is cooler but you lose the sense of sight and you lose sleep, lol. Man it was hot this morning walking 2 miles. I definitely won't be vitamin D deficient.

M@M
08-17-2010, 09:47 PM
I definitely get more exercise then fish! It does get discouraging to see post everyday with everyone pulling out stripers.......I must be the worst fisherman in the world:Confused:.....but the hunt continues...I will catch a third one......someday............I hope sooner then later...............:Explode:
.......................................:No Pity::No Pity::No Pity: .................................oh yeah nice fish Z:Envious:

Marine_Michael
08-18-2010, 01:00 PM
Don't feel bad M@M. I haven't had any luck with the stripers this year either. Part of the reason it seems so easy is you don't see reports for all of the times we go out and come back with nothing but the skunk. If everyone posted up every time they went out there would be so many skunk reports it would be hard to find ones with fish caught.

fishinone
08-18-2010, 05:04 PM
Don't feel bad M@M. I haven't had any luck with the stripers this year either. Part of the reason it seems so easy is you don't see reports for all of the times we go out and come back with nothing but the skunk. If everyone posted up every time they went out there would be so many skunk reports it would be hard to find ones with fish caught.

This would also cut down on the duct fishermen. lol

yolo
08-18-2010, 05:45 PM
Duct skunk? What's that? Oh I know. The white stripe on my back from last night's short 2 hour attempt.

Marine_Michael
08-18-2010, 05:59 PM
This would also cut down on the duct fishermen. lol

That might not be a bad thing.

yolo
08-18-2010, 07:34 PM
No worries. I'm sure many try and never go back, probably cursing the place, lol.

trail blazer
08-18-2010, 10:49 PM
Niceeeeee

wtg again yolo

horgaszapacban
08-20-2010, 03:00 PM
Congrats yolo,

I was always just reading the posts, but now my company moves to Lancaster, so I'll be a Santa Clarita commuter with at least one fishing pole in the trunk. Hopefully I will post some catches, too from now on.

h

yolo
08-20-2010, 04:26 PM
Yeah definitely pack a rod if you will be commuting right over the duct twice a day.